Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now Oil Pump Question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now Oil Pump Question...

Ok, I came across this issue that I did not know about on 03 d2's..... I have a 03 d2 with 63k on it that falls in the vin # for the oil pump failure issues... Is there a way to fix that problem b/f it's to late and is the only fix a new engine...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Now Oil Pump Question...

From what I've learned (I also have an 03, but mine is outside the range...still doesn't mean it won't go though!) a new engine is the ONLY permanent fix for this problem. LR will NOT cover it even if you are under warranty.

I knew there was an issue and bought it anyway, knowing my VIN was outside the range...hoping for the best. I'm not a religious person, but maybe I should start!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks... I guess I will go for Luck this time...

Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, I just talked to a guy at atlantic-british and he claims that there is a new front cover that comes with the oil pump on it. This is supposed to take care of the issue... DISCO MIKE, is this what I need to do in order to keep my 03 engine from blowing apart due to the oil pump failure...???

Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Mudding

There ARE Discos that fall within the range that end up being completely fine too...
there are a few on this forum that have high mileage and they've been okay (knocks on wood).

And I would be interested to know if that new front cover will fix the issue as well...I'd do it for prevention in my case!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I wasn't aware of the new front cover fix. I was under the impression that an entire new engine assy was the only fix. Then again I have a 96 so lucky me, I guess

Old 11-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Three Wheeling

I am hoping that DiscoMike will share his thaughts on this subject...

Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Update, I just talked to S.M. at LR dealership in Grand Rapids, MI. He's worked there for 11.5 years and never heard of such a thing on the 03 oil pumps... Called to LR dealership in Indianapolis and he has heard of the problem but never experienced it by having one come in for repair... Little Rock, Ar. has never heard of any problems in their shop either... I think eventually I am going to go ahead and replace the front cover...
Atlantic British sells it for 449 bucks and the gasket is another 10 or so bucks... The Front Cover comes with the oil pump already attached and is not mis-aligned. So all of those 03 disco diehards out there... GET A NEW FRONT COVER... and be rid of the Service Bullitin...

Old 11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Call your local dealer with the VIn and ask them to run it through the system... Tell them you want to know where the vehicle was purchased and serviced during the complimentary service period. Then call that dealer and ask them to fax you the service records - it the engine was replaced, then you have nothing to worry about... If not, then start to worry because there is no fix!

Jonathan

Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Cessna310Guy

Update, I just talked to S.M. at LR dealership in Grand Rapids, MI. He's worked there for 11.5 years and never heard of such a thing on the 03 oil pumps... Called to LR dealership in Indianapolis and he has heard of the problem but never experienced it by having one come in for repair... Little Rock, Ar. has never heard of any problems in their shop either... I think eventually I am going to go ahead and replace the front cover...
Atlantic British sells it for 449 bucks and the gasket is another 10 or so bucks... The Front Cover comes with the oil pump already attached and is not mis-aligned. So all of those 03 disco diehards out there... GET A NEW FRONT COVER... and be rid of the Service Bullitin...

Call me jaded and negative, but it seems to easy a fix for a problem LR has known about for 5 years and the only solution that has been repeated over and over again is a new engine.

But then again...I know next to nada about this kind of thing...

Quick Reply: Now Oil Pump Question...