Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nut Size for Air Intake Plastic Nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019 | 02:03 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Nut Size for Air Intake Plastic Nut

I'm replacing the air filter housing box and tube that connects to the fender. The actual tube has rotted away and the foam padding is gone. The problem is that there are two plastic nuts that keep the tube connected to the fender. One of the nuts is completely shot and will pop off with the slightest wiggle. They come off with a 10mm socket, but a 10-24 nut won't make it more than one turn or two on the bolt. In a pinch, I could slap about 20 washers on each site to secure it, but I'd like to find a more permanent fix.

Is there an OEM replacement for these nuts or a size that I can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot that will fit? If I'm replacing them I'd prefer something more durable than plastic.

Old 05-04-2019 | 02:23 PM
TReK

i think i have spare original ones on my parts truck if you want them.
if your tube has rotted away, this is the best replacement you can get: https://carrs4x4.com/collections/dis...it-by-carrs4x4

Old 05-04-2019 | 02:30 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Is there a replacement size that I can get from Lowe's or Home Depot? I'd like to replace the plastic ones if possible.

The tube was rotten away as well as the filter housing was broken. It was being held together with zip ties. I replaced the whole thing and bought one of those tubes from Carrs 4x4.

Old 05-04-2019 | 03:24 PM
TReK

i think they're flat nuts/speed nuts in a plastic housing. they may not have an actual thread size.

Old 05-04-2019 | 04:01 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mollusc
i think they're flat nuts/speed nuts in a plastic housing. they may not have an actual thread size.
So it's not likely that I could find a replacement that will last longer. Thanks Land Rover.

Old 05-04-2019 | 04:16 PM
TReK

If you want to order the M5 nut it's CYH10001L > https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/cy...tic_m5_push_on
IDK the part number, but you can get these in many different sizes at HD or Lowe's.

Old 05-04-2019 | 07:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Jsivey
So it's not likely that I could find a replacement that will last longer. Thanks Land Rover.
i see a lot of people on this forum whose trucks have upwards of 175k miles on them. some well into the 200s.
i don't think i've ever seen anyone mention a problem with those nuts before.
which means that they may be one of the longest-lasting parts on the whole vehicle.

Old 10-04-2019 | 05:39 AM
Camel Trophy

I’m glad I found this post. Those plastic nuts are so wore out they don’t grip anymore to hold the elbow on for a tight fit
I’ll try a speed nut plate until I find something more permanent.

Old 01-21-2023 | 04:33 PM
Drifting

I know this is an old thread but its all I could find on this issue. I have the same problem. I installed the excellent Carrs 4x4 Air Intake Hose upgrade but could not use one of the original nuts to secure the intake to the fender as it was stripped. I ordered M5 Push-On nut part # RNN876 from Rovers North but could not get them on. They are too tight to push on and while trying to tighten them on with a wrench I lost both in the engine bay. I've never used push-on nuts so I likely was doing it wrong. How are these supposed to be applied?

It is maddening that LR chose a one-of-a-kind nut for such a simple applcation.

Old 01-21-2023 | 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy

I want to grind off both threaded bits, drill holes in its places and install nutserts with bolts instead.
I’ve been too lazy to do it yet. Lol

Quick Reply: Nut Size for Air Intake Plastic Nut