Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensor eliminators

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor eliminators

Living in Wyoming we have no emission tests or standards. On my motorbikes we fit o2 eliminators as bikes are set to run lean up to 5000 rpm or so which makes them run hot and reduced power. The eliminators just feed the signal the ECU needs to run more efficiently.

I have read lots of politics on this but all I need to know is if there is a dongle made or what resistor is required to provide the correct signal.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

You mean for removing the catalytic convertors? Otherwise, I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do. Change the A/F mixture? That would take some experimentation and math that I don't believe has been done. Also, slightly lean actually makes more power.

If more power is what you're after, there are better ways to achieve that goal.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

If you are removing the cats, yes you can get spacers for the O2 off eBay and they will not toss a cell.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

On the D2 you would only need spacers on the two rear O2 bungs. This would keep the O2's out of the exhaust stream and keep the ECU from recognizing there are no cats.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Default o2 sensor elimination

OK well on my motorcycles they have o2 sensors to feed a signal back to the ECU to ensure the correct mixture to meet the emission control standard. This is set weak over the low rev range which causes the engine to run hot. On 2 cyl engines it also makes them run rough. On my old D2 I would like to remove the cats also as this vehicle I use to camp in the mountains. Hot cats are also a big fire risk.

For motor cycles there are many companies that sell dongles to plug on the o2 cable. Then the exhaust port is blanked off. The dongle just feeds a signal back that tells the ECU everything is fine and it can run the correct mixture for best performance and cooler running.

I was just enquiring if I could get a similar plug device for the D2 - they tend to run about $35 a pair.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to this also. I ruined my Y-Pipe on a stump and I've removed it completely and now the 02 sensors are just hanging in the air. I'm sure they're the reason the truck is running like crap. Im just going to run open headers. Its an off road only toy and the sound is kinda fun. .

Old 08-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

i prefer the dummy sensors to the spacers. i've had issues with the spacers having no effect despite the sensor being out of the stream.

as for bikes, why don't you just tune them properly? power commanders and adjustable spark advancers are cheap. and newer bikes are OBDII, so all you need is some free software and a $13 usb to obdII converter.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Not strictly the case

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
i prefer the dummy sensors to the spacers. i've had issues with the spacers having no effect despite the sensor being out of the stream.

as for bikes, why don't you just tune them properly? power commanders and adjustable spark advancers are cheap. and newer bikes are OBDII, so all you need is some free software and a $13 usb to obdII converter.
Some bikes you can use TuneECU like my KTM but not my previous Aprilia nor 2013 Kawasaki C14 but most need a power commander or similar. However for most bikes there are kits to remove all the emission control stuff which cuts the weight and removes clutter in an otherwise congested space. Why buy a power commander for $400 when you can buy a pair of dongles and blanking plugs for $35 which correct the low speed running?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:34 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Power commanders are useless without a good dyno tune. Generic base maps do little to nothing.
Ecu Editor works for Suzuki and Yamaha. And you need the extremely expensive Ecu Unleashed shop setup for other bikes, and it also does cars.
"Spark/timing advancers" also know as TRE's, timing retard eliminators, are also usually junk. They perform decent on Kawasakis, but cause gremlins sooner or later on everything. Tricking the ecu into thinking it's in 5th gear all the time is a bad idea for several reasons.
Eliminating the O2's isn't smart without a dyno tune either. Especially since most all FI engines run lean from the factory to pass emmissions.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Dummy sensors options

Originally Posted by KingKoopa

On my KTM990 Adv. Rottweiller supply a Dongle to replace the sensors. They work great. More power low down, cooler running and better MPG due to being able to change up earlier. They were about $30/pair. I also fitted their kit to remove the air injection, canister and all the tubing. That works great in removing the risk of false F1 lights.

Just want to remove the Cats as they are a fire risk, and the o2s to stop the lights coming on. My o2 sensors are faulty at present but the truck runs fine, 16MPG US etc Just want to tidy it up.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor eliminators