Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Codes - Check Engine Light

Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As mentioned above, 4 new 02's would be next.
I suggested a New Bosch MAF because of the 102 and the 1884 codes and now I am curious, would you mind getting the part number from one of the MAF's and sending it to me.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bosch PN on the box and on the MAF is 0 280 217 532.

I am trying to educate myself on this Discovery and I have another question. As i stated in my original post, when using my engine code reader in "LIVE" mode, there is data present in for all of the values with the exception of the MAF sensor. The reading for the MAF ft/lb stays at 0.0 not matter what I do. Should there not be a value of some sort displaying in this column when the engine is running?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

OK, that is the right number. As for your question, yes, you should be showing activity at the MAF when running.
Do you have a copy of the Rave CD or a shop manual, if not down load one and read the testing procedures.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Mike,

I have the Rave CD and have used it regularly. With that being said, I have no idea what "testing procedures" you are talking about. I have spent the last hour going over the Rave CD twice and still I am lost. I know the MAF is in the engine management section, but find no instructions on how to test it or test the inputs and/or outputs. More information would be very much appreciated.

Bigun

Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigun
Mike,

I have the Rave CD and have used it regularly. With that being said, I have no idea what "testing procedures" you are talking about. I have spent the last hour going over the Rave CD twice and still I am lost. I know the MAF is in the engine management section, but find no instructions on how to test it or test the inputs and/or outputs. More information would be very much appreciated.

Bigun
Send me your tele number, I have the printed version with the information.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Mike ( and all others who want a good laugh),

I want to nominate myself for the winner of the "MORON OF THE MONTH" award at Land Rover Forums. I have worked in the aviation industry electronics for over 30 years and consider myself a very thorough and competent technician. Just thought this background would be interesting as I tell you the issue that was troubling my Disco.

As I looked through the Rave CD for troubleshooting ideas on the MAF, I came across the schematic for the engine management. As I casually looked at the schematic I noted fuse #2 in the engine compartment is the source of power to the MAF. As I followed the same power feed to the next page I noted it also feeds the O2 sensors. As I was getting trouble codes associated with both the MAF and O2 sensors, my stomach suddenly got sick. The very first rule of repairing any electrical or electronic circuit is to make sure the incoming power is correct. I had over looked the obvious.

I quick check of fuse #2 showed it was burned out. I replaced the fuse and reset the trouble codes. The Disco is good as new. Running like a scalded dog, as we say here in Alabama. I have no idea why the fuse went out, but should it happen again I will check independent components until I located the one drawing to much current.

This has been over a months worth on again off again work plus an education that cost me $130.00 for a MAF. I guess I have a good spare unit now.

Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will be back soon for more. It seems to be that way with these exotic Land Rovers.

Bigun

Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear you found it.
Just curious, where did you buy the MAF, at that price?

Old 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Drifting

Well the joy was short lived. The wife wanted to run get B-B-Q for dinner and we took the Disco. Stopped to get gas on the way and when I restarted the car it shuddered and the check engine light came back on. Of course went to the #2 fuse and it was blown again. At least I know where to start checking. Mike in your experience is one of the sensors associated with this circuit more likely to be a problem than any of the others? How is the best way to check O2 sensors? Can a Ohm meter be used to check them easily?

As to the question of the place I purchased the Bosch MAF. It was www.autopartswarehouse.com

Parts Ordered
1999-2002 Land Rover Discovery Bosch Air Mass Meter Air Mass Meter Price:$128.95 Qty:1 Part #:W0133-1603746

Sub Total: $128.95
Shipping: $0
Handling: $0
Tax: $0
Core: $0
Total: $128.95

Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator

So per my manual, the #2 fuse is a 12 volt lead to the MAF to heat, I think it is called the IAC strip, the second part of the MAF. Could you have a short between the power source and the MAF?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Drifting

If I read my schematic correctly, the F2 power source feeds the MAF, all 4 O2 sensors, vent-evap canister, pump-leak detection, valve-air injection, purge control valve and the camshaft position sensor. Please tell me I am reading it incorrectly as that is a lot of wires to trace. I am not even sure where most of these are. I will have to take one circuit at a time and look for a short.

It is getting late here so I will have to let this be until next weekend. I will be back in touch as I have more questions or find more answers.

Bigun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBDII Codes - Check Engine Light