Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd post lift noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 PM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Odd post lift noise

So I got my spring and shocks in place and went for a short run to check everything out maybe a couple of Km. The Disco started to make a noise similar to a fan hitting the shroud, but only under load. Pulled into a parking lot to check things over, other than a small leak on one of the small hoses on the expansion tank everything was fine. Tightened up the clamp and that was good.

Reved the engine up to 3000 rpm in the parking lot no noise.

The only thing I removed beyond the tires, that are rotational were the rear calipers and the brakes are good, actually a bit better - go figure.

Could be a bent rotor guard might dinged one putting thing back together.

Any other suggestions ?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

What suspension did you go with ??

Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Driveshaft .

Old 04-30-2019, 09:17 PM
TReK

redwhitecat - used Terrafirma Medium duty and OME shocks

bcurtman - that was one of my thoughts - but it made no noise at all prior to the lift and has been greased every 6 months religiously - I guess I could drop it and run without it to find out. I did confirm it is not hitting anywhere, wish I had a spare to test with.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Yeah, my first guess would be backing-plate(s).

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM
TReK

I have the floor jack out - starting with right rear as that seem to be the side where the noise is - will update once I check everything over.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Hmmm...backing plates in the rear have a bit more clearance, whereas the fronts are pretty tight to the rotor to begin with. But, who knows? Something should jump out at you if there is a rotational rubbing noise. Should see evidence of rubbing. This is another good reason to never wash your rover, easier to see what's happening...when all of the dirt is rubbed off in certain areas...lol. The old "smoking gun".

Brian.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 PM
TReK

Well to be honest I am simply starting where I started and working my way around - The left front hit the ground - my 2nd bottle jack kind of popped out it was very exciting (that jack has been decommissioned) so that is my bet where the issue is. But I want to make sure I did not drop a pad in backwards or put something where it should not be it is pretty easy and quick to check. Big floor jacks are handy that way.

Thanks for your input

Old 05-01-2019, 09:24 PM
TReK

My Disco is cursed !

Well this has me stumped I checked the right rear and left front corners they seem to be fine. I need to check the other 2 tomorrow.

The noise only seems to occur once the truck has warmed up and drive train has warmed - so for about 2 km nothing quiet a church mouse

Then this kinda of click click/ tick tick noise almost like a branch hitting something. But only with a bit of load - so take off in 1st gear and give the disco a bunch gas then this noise. Let off the gas nothing, I can duplicate in any gear.

Move off like a little old lady no problem rarely there

Ran through low and CLD in High and Low with not problems no unusual noises. - I need to top off the transfer case but it hard to believe that is it, I no drips underneath.

Listened - very carefully sounds like it is on the left aft of the driver seat.

Hardly noticable with the drivers window up and passenger window down

bccurtman - greased the drive shafts just to make sure it was not dry - lots of old stuff came out, as noted no movement in either shaft

Oil and temps are good, fan shroud is good moved it around for good measure, the truck moves well with no notable issues.

Crawled underneath both drive shafts are firm with no movement rotationally or back and forth

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 05-01-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Assuming you checked both driveshaft? Lifting changes the angle the joints run at, and extends the spines, amplifying sometimes minor wear that already existed.
Exhaust leak?

Quick Reply: Odd post lift noise