Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd shifting and hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012 | 05:52 PM
|
Mudding
Exclamation Odd shifting and hesitation?

I'll just get right to it.

I'll turn the truck on, and as I exit my apartment complex, the truck will hold 1st gear for an unusually long amount of time, and then you can feel second gear slam in. It is very annoying and does not feel good at all.

The other thing...
I'll be at a red light, and on green I take off. At about 45+ mph, the car will have been holding what I assume is second gear, and then the rpms will drop(in 2 distinguishable phases) and I'll feel 2 different gears, third and then fourth and I did not let off the pedal at all. I kept it about half to 3/4 of the way down, and it just completely drops gears and I have to floor it to get it to pick up any kind of speed. Even with sport mode I have noticed these hesitations. What is this? I come from a 5 speed manual sport coupe...maybe I am just being picky? Let me know and any input is, as always, greatly appreciated.

The motor sounds fine as does the transmission. The entire vehicle sounds smooth but it acts "not" smooth. I've done a seafoam once...I might do it again but with an entire can in the induction this time instead of a half. Could that fix it?

Best,
Ashtray

Old 11-13-2012 | 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid and filter?

Old 11-13-2012 | 05:57 PM
|
Mudding

I personally have NOT done that. And I am not aware of when the last time it was done.

Old 11-13-2012 | 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ashtray
I personally have NOT done that. And I am not aware of when the last time it was done.
That's a good place to start. Also, a bad or dirty MAF can cause funny shifting too.

Old 11-13-2012 | 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jafir
That's a good place to start. Also, a bad or dirty MAF can cause funny shifting too.
X2 you need to get it done asap.

Old 11-14-2012 | 07:06 AM
Administrator

Don't take this wrong, but leave the MAF alone cause it sounds like you are not very mechanical and you will just cause more issues. Also the MAF will not cause a tranny to slam into gear, only cause it to hunt and shift usually in 3rd. and 4th gears only.
How many miles on the truck, when did it have the last major service?
Do you have a good Rover mechanic you can trust?

Old 11-14-2012 | 04:58 PM
|
Mudding

I'm mechanically inclined, Mike. Thanks though. And I would not touch the MAF because it was replaced by a brand new one not to long ago. Last major service was done in the realm of about 4 to 5 months ago.

edit: 84,893 miles to date.

Last edited by ashtray; 11-14-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2012 | 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ashtray
I'm mechanically inclined, Mike. Thanks though. And I would not touch the MAF because it was replaced by a brand new one not to long ago. Last major service was done in the realm of about 4 to 5 months ago.

edit: 84,893 miles to date.

But earlier you stated you don't know when the last time the trans fluid and filter was changed...

That is something that would be done during a major service.

So which one is it?

Old 11-14-2012 | 08:16 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
But earlier you stated you don't know when the last time the trans fluid and filter was changed...

That is something that would be done during a major service.

So which one is it?
If major service entails a transmission fluid and filter change then I am gonna have to assume it was done at the LR dealer. I'm heading to the dealer this Friday to get all the service records on the truck. Until then is there anyway I myself can check?

Old 11-14-2012 | 08:17 PM
|
Mudding

I'll check back on Friday afternoon with what I get from Land Rover. The vehicle was my dads before it was mine so they should have no problem handing me all the records on it.

What is the likely hood that transmission fluid and filter would cause what is happening?

Quick Reply: Odd shifting and hesitation?