Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Roading

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Roading

How many people acually go Mudding with there disco's ?I have only went one andI felt really bad for about a month to nice of vehicles to really get down and dirty, I have seen on cardomain prty tricked out Off road Disco's that seem to be able to tackle anything. now i know this is a Landrover site but what would you do

Buy a early 90's rehad Disco
or a early 90's Import 4x4 or somthing like a CJ

Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Off Roading

IMO if you really want to be in the off roading scene you need 2 4X4's.

1 you're going to take care of. It might see at worst a mild class 3 trail.

Then you'll need something to run on the gnarly level 3 and beyond stuff.

I arrived at this conclusion back when I had a 1990 Bronco. It was an Eddie Bauer Edition in good shape when I got it. It was absolutely beaten when I sold it from hard trail use. Along the way I bought the CJ and realized it was nice to have one I didn't care as much about breaking.

Here's the rating system:
http://www.tellico4x4.com/tellico-trails.php/

[align=center]Trail Rating Legend [/align]Trails are rated from 1(easiest) to 10 (most difficult). Keep in mind that rain or snow can increase the ratings at Tellico by two to three points.
1-3 feature trails with obstacles that are easy to navigate. In optimum weather conditions, some of these trails may not require the continual use of four-wheel drive (4WD).
4-7 trails are moderately demanding and require 4WD. You may encounter a wide variety of challenges, including mud holes, boulders, and stream crossings.
8-9 ratings indicate that the likelihood of getting stuck is considerably higher. Mud holes here may be deep and rock climbing will be more arduous. There is a chance for parts breakage and body damage on these trails.
10 is reserved for the rocky, off-camber, most difficult obstacles. Rollovers, breakage and body damage is to be expected here.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Actually as I re-read that classification I'd guess a 4 or 5 would be OK (I'm used to 5 being the most difficult).

Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling

i dont do much "muddin" in my disco since there isnt much mud around here and its a PITA to wash. lots of rocks though. ive been doing a lot of 5-8 trails lately. since i only have experience with my disco, id go with that option.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Mudding

I do a bid of modest off roading. I'm of the opinion that "mudding" is for guys with beer guts, sleeveless shirts, and refer to their wives as "the ol' lady." Plus it really isn't often a trail friendly endeavor to say the least.

Off the lot, I'm conviced most SUVs like a Disco really suck off road. Land Cruisers, Troopers, and Discoverys are awesome platforms from which to build a great off roader, but out of the box they really aren't capable of much.

My Disco II is a great example. I swapped the 18" wheels for 16s, bumped up the tire size by a couple inches and lifted it 3". Without lockers it totally and absolutely sucks in the most tame of rock crawlish situations. Steep rocky terrain gives me fits. Even simple things like the low slung bumper need to be addressed before it can be properly off roaded.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So what year is your Disco, do you have a CDl t/case?
Mike

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Mudding

No dice on the CDL. I'm in a 2002 so I don't have the short cut versions of introducing a CDL.

I took her out on a 3.0 trail out here in AZ that went up a creek bed for about 400 yards. Beer cooler sized boulders here and there. Big enough to crush my factory "sliders" and put a very small dent in my door. My traction was just pathetic. I had my BFGs down to 18psi and those open diffs just suck.

A buddy in a '99 Trooper with identical tire size, equal lift and similar gearing just crawled over everything with the factory limited slip rear diff. That thing was unreal for traction even if it clanked and bounced off every other rock due to the silly low slung tail bits.