Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

By the way...any experience with roof top tents

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default By the way...any experience with roof top tents

By the way...does anyone have any experience with those safari roof top tents for Discos? They seem very handy and the perfect thing for elk season this year. My back is getting too crooked to sleep on the ground any more...hahaha

Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: By the way...any experience with roof top tents

I have seen and know a couple people who have the Haniable tents and roof racks.
They are prettey handy, a little heavy but boy if you camp out alot you can't go wrong.
Every so foten I see a used one in the Rover classified sections of some of the forums at pretty good prices.
Mike

Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Magnolia seems to be the best one if you want a crank-up tent. The overland seems to be best if you're looking for a fold-out. I did a lot of research into them last year but still haven't bought one. I really think there is a lot of room for improvement in this area... they're all too heavy to start. Still going to get something though, you just can't beat the convenience. The other option is making your own fold-out platform and modifying a dome tent to fit on it, then you can put the 'mattress' inside the fold out for transit then inside the tent when you're using it.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to www.overlandjournal.com and see if there is a way to get a back issue from the spring. They did an extremely complete review of five popular RTTs.

Or....log onto www.expeditionportal.com and look for answers there. It is a vehicle based expedition site. Some of the posters there have used their RTTs for 9 month long trips across Africa, Asia and beyond. Several posters are dealers of RTTs.

Both are great resources and share the same network of people. Subscribe to Overland Journal. You'll dig it.