Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad footage and new questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Offroad footage and new questions!

Hey folks,

I finally got my Rover into the woods for its first official trail day.

For your viewing pleasure:

Now, I've got some questions. My Hill Descent Control has never worked. Just dings and gives me the green exclamation light blinking. I think I stumbled upon my issue, finally. When I was in low range, I noticed I never get a light on the dash for it. I assume there is. I probably should have checked when I turned the key on one of those times, but I didn't. In any event - what brought this to my attention now is that I was unable, in low range, to press the button at the shifter to put it into manual mode. It just goes into sport. Aha!

This means there's a high-low-switch, correct? Is this the 'solenoid' on top of the tcase? It sounded like that device could stop someone from kicking the tcase into neutral with the key out, which I've not experienced, but really haven't fiddled with to verify.

So, with this all said, now, I wonder if my truck should have done better yesterday with traction control. Since this is obviously directly tied into HDC working, which is part of the ABS system really -- it would seem reasonable that the system would be FAR more active in low range than in high range.

Thoughts?

Dave

Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think your rear driver's wheel should have been spinning that much; traction control should have been braking that wheel and applying power to the other wheels with traction.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need lockers and HD shafts

Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you install a CDL actuator or crawl under your truck with a 10mm wrench and lock the transfer case before you hit the trails? Also, the traction control should have done more to control the wheelspin. The left rear tire seemed to have nothing acting on it. I'm assuming you don't have the 3 Amigos.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MuddMouth
You need lockers and HD shafts
Agreed completely. And it will. So you going to bring yours up or am I bringing mine down to you to wheel?

Dave

Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Haha quick to go with the lockers and HD shafts. I like it!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Did you install a CDL actuator or crawl under your truck with a 10mm wrench and lock the transfer case before you hit the trails? Also, the traction control should have done more to control the wheelspin. The left rear tire seemed to have nothing acting on it. I'm assuming you don't have the 3 Amigos.
No 3 amigos. CDL from a D1 installed and working. Light comes on the dash, disables TC when you shut the truck off with it still in - also on my list to figure out how to resolve...

I agree - with brand new brakes in the rear (akebono & high carbon discs) I expect it would be doing more. This is what leads me to think it's probably a separate "mapping" for the TC system in high range vs low range.

Dave

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Mudding

Actually, I'll be in your neck of the woods soon, a couple of months actually. I'm originally from the Cape and will be bringing my rig to western Mass and then Moosehead Lake Maine... soooo we may have to hook up?

As far as getting more grip now, if you don't have a CDL lever installed, go to a bone yard and get the complete lever off a D1. Then send me a Pm and Ill give you the part number to add to it to make it work. Also get rid of the transfer case solenoid while your in there... youll thank yourself for that if you ever got stuck in 4L.... and cant get out.
If you have the 3 amigos then you really wanna do the mod in the sticky above http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html read as much as you can on it.... or find a unit out of a 5 series E39 BMW... which seem to never brake and swap it out. You really wanna take advantage of all the ABS system has to offer.
Best advise is to read till your eyes bleed... knowledge is power blah blah blah...

Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Mudding

Disregard most of the above... just saw your other post

Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
- also on my list to figure out how to resolve...
Best fix is to install a SLABS computer from a 2003-2004. 2004 is best. You might need to have it programmed if you have SLS. (or if you don't and the doner did.)

Quick Reply: Offroad footage and new questions!