Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh brother.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh brother.....

Just got the rig back together after valley gasket job and the coolant leak is completely gone. Took the beast for a drive and it runs like a champ.

So I get home and park in the garage and go inside the house for a while. Thirty minutes later, I go outside and there's a small puddle of fuel on the ground just under the rear part of the engine. I know for a fact that I connected the fuel line before the coils went back in but I can't help feeling that the leak might be in that general area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Do I need to get back under the coils and look at that line? I haven't had a drop of fuel leak from the beast in the past.

Update:This rig has never had any problems starting until now. I left the rig outside and the fuel stopped leaking. I turned the key but it seemed like the engine wasn't getting any fuel. Kept cranking and it finally turned over. Backed up five feet into the garage and now there's a big puddle of fuel building up again.

Please help!!

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 04-02-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably did not connect the fuel line back up correctly to the fuel rail. Maybe it did not click in properly. Stop driving before you blow yourself up.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling

I heard it click. Is there an O-ring inside the connector that could have been damaged or maybe missing?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 AM
TReK

Probably yes there is. That has to be where it is coming from as there is no place else that fuel is going to pour out of.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling

You are correct. I have been looking for replacement o-rings for the fuel line connector but I haven't seen any. I don't want to break everything down, put it back together again and then find that there's still a leak.

Your suggestions sir?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you remove the injectors from the fuel rail, or remove them all as a unit?
When I removed my injectors from the fuel rail I found there was enough rust in the cups that a couple of the injectors wouldn't seal again, even with new o-rings. I had to get a new fuel rail.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by antichrist
Did you remove the injectors from the fuel rail, or remove them all as a unit?
When I removed my injectors from the fuel rail I found there was enough rust in the cups that a couple of the injectors wouldn't seal again, even with new o-rings. I had to get a new fuel rail.
I didn't remove the injectors from the fuel rail. I just unplugged and removed as a unit. Very good point though. How would I be able to tell whether it was an injector or the fuel line that was leaking?

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 04-03-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 PM
TReK

Get an inspection mirror, pull the coils fuse and start poking around while someone turns over the engine. Since you never removed the fuel injectors I would start by checking the rear fuel rail connection first.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Broke it all down and took a good look at the fuel connector under the coils. Took the connector off and shined a light down in the plastic connector housing. It looks like the plastic is all good with no cracks. The o-ring is also in place and in good shape. It's hard to even find the little o-ring in the connector but it's there.

I just don't understand. I heard the connector click when connected it to the fuel rail but the flow of fuel on the ground was like it wasn't even plugged in at all. There was a little bit of a gunk type buildup inside the connector plug but I don't see how that would have caused it to leak once it was connected to the fuel rail.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject or recommend any further course of action that I should take?

Is there a way to replace the little plastic fuel connector? It's just a plug stuck into the end of a fuel hose so it shouldn't be that uncommon.

Quick Reply: Oh brother.....