Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh crap… High low lever snapped in cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Oh crap… High low lever snapped in cold weather.

Was just sticking from low to high and something snapped. Now she's siting in the middle of the road with the transfer case in neutral.
Looking for an emergency solution to get it in gear!
300km from home and -15º c.

Anyone online?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You can possibly get under it with a pair of pliers/vise grips and get in to gear. This site will have some images that might help:

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/2003cdlinstall.html

I'm thinking the cable snapped. So find where the cable goes, find the moving part, and try to force it into gear. I've tried to do it with my hands before and wasn't able, but underneath you might have a bit more leverage. I believe you want the lever to move toward the front of the truck to shift it into high.

The -15c temps will help cool the cats off so you don't burn yourself.

My sympathies are with you. I've broken down a couple of times on the road and it's always stressful.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 12-16-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Winching

Thanks Dr. Mordo.
Between the snow and the undercoating I've decided to make it some one else's problem. Had her towed to a garage (inglorious, I know).
As a bonus, with the transfer case in neutral, she won't let go of the key. So she's unlocked and I assume the homeless are now sleeping in her and burning up all my gas. Of course in this weather you can hardly blame them…

Old 12-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't blame you. Shouldn't be much of a challenge for them to get it into gear.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

sissy....I would have pulled it home, with my teeth, barefoot.

ok...maybe tow truck would be a better option. I don't blame you, either.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tow Truck?!? You could have created a snow cave for shelter and after rubbing two sticks together to create fire, made pliers out of the sticks by tying them together... and then fashion an improvised cable coupler with frozen bubble gum!

Obviously, after re-reading my post I've just realized that I'm probably going to die one day under my rig trying to improvise my way out...

Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by riddings
Tow Truck?!? You could have created a snow cave for shelter and after rubbing two sticks together to create fire, made pliers out of the sticks by tying them together... and then fashion an improvised cable coupler with frozen bubble gum!

Obviously, after re-reading my post I've just realized that I'm probably going to die one day under my rig trying to improvise my way out...
nah, you'll be fine..under your rig, that insulating coating of fluids and oils would keep you warm till summer and you can live off all of that bubble gum, no problem.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 AM
Winching

LOL. Nice.

Turns out it's the cable, so high gear till warm weather.
First look and I'm not finding the cable from the usual suspects (Rovers North, British Atlantic…), is this going to be a nightmare to find? Or am I just confused as to what to look for (transfer box cable), perhaps it's something more generic?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Pretty sure you'll have to buy the whole shifter. If you have a CDL, you can buy the aftermarket transfer case shifter with CDL shifter from Lucky8.

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Or you could mod the truck with a D1 shifter, but I did that and thought it was a PITA.

If you just want a stock D2 shifter, I'd get a used one from one of the resellers here.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

do you the shifter or cable? I might have the cable from my original shifter, if i can find it?
do you have any motorcycle shops in town? they can make cable to length.

Quick Reply: Oh crap… High low lever snapped in cold weather.