Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh God... Write up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure everyone would appreciate a write-up as well as more detail on the diagnostic flow; such as how a clang was diagnosed and pinpointed as a top-end/ lifter issue, what was causing the excessive oil temp issue and was it repaired or just an oil cooler installed; what led to the decision to replace the followers without the cam. Just some more detail I guess, especially with such an atypical case it's always great to have more info and diagnostic advice. As an aside the genuine t-stat is a 180, if you have a source for a 165-170 for the stock location that would be great as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Write-up's and How-to's are ALWAYS a great idea

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tee51397
I'm sure everyone would appreciate a write-up as well as more detail on the diagnostic flow; such as how a clang was diagnosed and pinpointed as a top-end/ lifter issue, what was causing the excessive oil temp issue and was it repaired or just an oil cooler installed; what led to the decision to replace the followers without the cam. Just some more detail I guess, especially with such an atypical case it's always great to have more info and diagnostic advice. As an aside the genuine t-stat is a 180, if you have a source for a 165-170 for the stock location that would be great as well.
The CLANG CLANG CLANG noise I heard when he brought the car in was the oil pump screaming for its life.
The customer poured 2! bottles of motor honey in before I even saw the car...
On top of clogging the rocker shafts solid with the glueish substance, the lifters were clogged also, one of the lifters springs had collapsed, so a new set was in order.

I have never replaced a cam with lifter replacement, only replaced lifters with cam replacement, not saying you should/shouldn't just I have not.

The customer was not willing to shell out the money to correctly fix the oil pressure problem, So I tried as best I could to keep the oil as viscous as possible. Rotella 15/40 and the mongo filter from my other post netted me the most drastic change, +10 lbs at hot idle. Oil cooler install did not net my expected result, almost no change in oil pressure.

Now this motor only ticks when the coolant gets to 210* (through my scanner, not raytek gun) So In theory I could replace the stock thermostat with a 180* and maybe the symptom will go away, but the problem is still there. I'm really worried at this point that his oil pump is cracked and ready to blow apart at any min. Cooler thermostats are available as through rover, PEL500110 (Bosch cars end warm up enrichment at 150* f so anything down to that is viable if you are ok with higher emissions, less fuel economy, and maybe shorter cat life.)

(P.S. I believe the stock thermo temp is 88* cel or 192* f)

Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing a write for the internals of this engine would be fantastic thank you. Might give me the know how to tear into it if I have have the need. Very good idea.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm would love to see a write-up that has pictures attached. I'm just amazed that the onwer is too cheap to let you replace the oil pump but is okay with opening up the bottom end for bearings.