Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change for my Disco.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009 | 11:53 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Oil change for my Disco.

Hey guys, Im doing my oil today and i was wondering if i should do anything else besides change the oil and filter?

A couple things about the oil, right now i have 5-30 Synthetic. Is that a good weight for rocky mountain colorado?

And also, How many quarts do the discos take? Disco 1, 1998.

Old 11-03-2009 | 12:39 PM
TReK

5w-30 is fine for winter. If you use a synthetic try to get mobil 1 5w-30 EP for the extra zddp. If you want to try an oil that is well suited to your engine (flat tappet) try shell rotella 5w-40 synthetic. Also castrol makes a 0w-30 syntec that is made in Germany that is a very good synthetic and is thicker than most 5w-30 and almost can be considered 0w-40 oil. It is available at Autozone but make sure you look for the Made in Germany on the back. I believe Mobil 1 and Castrol are on sale at autozone now for $27 for 5 quarts and a K&N filter. Pennzoil Premium (5w-30 or 10w-30) is also a good cheap oil ($20/5quarts at walmart). Mobil 1 5w-40 for turbo diesels and Mobil 1 0W-40 are also good choices for winter.

Besides the oil how many miles on your air filter, coolant, auxiliary belt?

Old 11-03-2009 | 01:11 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Hmm i want the best for my rover, So out of those opitions, Which one would be the A+ best? and im sure the air filter needs replacing, Im not sure about coolant or the Aux belt. It has almost 60K so im guessing i should just change all three?

Old 11-03-2009 | 02:27 PM
Mudding

Absolute best would be Brad Penn, still formulated with a lot of zddp. I run this stuff in my vintage 911 which sees a lot of track time. Great for flat tappet engines. Problem is the cost....

http://www.bradpennracing.com/

Old 11-03-2009 | 03:42 PM
Winching

Run a 5w40 for winter. Brad Penn is good stuff.

Old 11-03-2009 | 03:57 PM
TReK

Absolute best is a loaded term there are many "best" oils out there. Some of the best synthetic oils IMO are Redline and Amsoil. Watch out for too much zddp like in race oils as they can foul your cats especially if you are burning any oil. Many of the high end oils are expensive but are made to be run for 25,000 mile oil change intervals so cost/benefit makes sense. In our trucks it is not really recommended to do such long drains because the nature of our engines (flat tappet, aluminum block etc.) so using those really expensive synthetics does not necessarily make sense. The oils I listed above are what I consider the best trade off between price and performance with Shell Rotella (both synthetic 5w-40 and dino 15w-40) being the best as they are made to run in diesel engines but also rated for gas engines and catalytic converters. Also I left out (because of the season) that mobil 1 15w-50 is a very good synthetic with high levels of additives and stands up well to the boutique oils. Also I should add choosing a oil available at Walmart like Rotella and Mobil 1 is a good thing due to their aggressive pricing. You cannot really beat 5 quarts of mobil 1 15w-50 for $22.

On oil filters our tucks will take a longer filter like the Mobil 1 301 or Napa Gold (Wix) 1515 or Purolator PureOne PL30001 or K&N 3001. On your coolant if it has been 2 years since you have flushed your coolant you should definitely do it. Use whatever coolant you like dexcool or green coolant as long as you change it every 2 years. Napa Gold and Purolator make good air filters (Do not use K&N oiled filters). On your serpentine belt check for cracks but it is probably OK but "getting there".

Old 11-03-2009 | 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Your truck takes 7 quarts.
The best way to change the oil on a DI is to run both passenger side wheels onto ramps, then drain the oil and while that is draining grease your u-joints and slip joints on both the front and rear driveshafts.
Then replace your drain plug, change your oil filter,. fill it back up with oil and you are good to go.

Old 11-04-2009 | 12:01 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Sweet, Thanks everyone... it sounds like im going to go with a 5w-40 probably shell. or Redline.

Thanks guys! And yea i checked the belts, They all need replacing... Lots of small cracks on the ridges, Also checked the power steering... It was so low it didnt even touch the dipstick!

Old 11-05-2009 | 08:21 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by skatelove303
Sweet, Thanks everyone... it sounds like im going to go with a 5w-40 probably shell. or Redline.

Thanks guys! And yea i checked the belts, They all need replacing... Lots of small cracks on the ridges, Also checked the power steering... It was so low it didnt even touch the dipstick!
I've been an amsoil fan for years and through the summer months I swear by their 15w-40.
It's a heavy duty oil made for the abuse of a flat tappet engine like ours, however their 5w-40 oil is a european spec and all the real heavy engine protectants we need ...are missing.. I have 5w-40 shell in mine for the winter

Old 11-05-2009 | 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling

go to wal mart, get two jugs of rotella 5w-40 oil and a motorcraft fl-1a filter.

Quick Reply: Oil change for my Disco.