Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption in 04 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil consumption in 04 Disco

I have an 04 Disco SE7 with 51k on it. I bought it back in September, with 42k on it. It was a one-owner off-lease truck and had just a few months of warranty left at the time. I got it at a fire-sale price from the dealer in Lexington, KY as they were going out of business and gas was $4 per gallon at the time. It was on the lot as a certified pre-owned vehicle, but in my infinite wisdom and my desire to get it dirt-cheap I bought it without the extended warranty. After all, it still had a couple of months of the original factory warranty. At 45k I took it to my private LR tech for the 45k service (glorified oil change) and discovered that the head-gasket was "weeping". I then took it to the LR dealer here in Louisville and they tried to tell me that it was acceptable for it to weep a little, but that it was still holding pressure and not a problem. I laughed at that, then threw a fit and they reluctantly agreed to replace the head gasket. I also had them go ahead and do the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and serpentine belt at that time because it only added the cost of parts to the job since the labor was covered by LR.

Since then, things have been pretty good. I love the truck, it's a pleasure to drive and is a refreshing departure from the civility of my '01 LX470.

Here's the thing: It's using oil. I don't know how, because at this time it does not leak and does not smoke. The truck is garaged, and my garage floor remains dry. It doesn't smoke at start-up, doesn't smoke when you floor it, and doesn't smoke during any normal driving. It doesn't run rough or miss. I'm changing the oil every 3,000 miles, and check the oil at every fill-up. I'm adding about a quart per 1000 miles driven. Any ideas? I am not running synthetic, just Castrol 10w-40 as specified in the owner's manual. (Yes, I actually read the owner's manual... all of it!)

The shop I have doing my work is a Used car dealer that specializes in LR. The tech there is a LR Certified master technician that worked at LR of Louisville for 9 years, and I feel good about the owner of the lot and the mechanic. In fact, I recommend them to anyone that lives in the Lexington/Louisville/Cincinnati area. (Message me if you'd like the shop's info.)

So, there you have it. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Disco_Fever; 03-07-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, in the future, if you have a question, ask it in 2 to 3 lines, don't give us 17 lines of wasted space.
That being said, when the head gaskets were replaced, did they replace the intake manifold gasket, check your invoice to make sure and get back to me.
Have you or the mechanic checked to make sure both the PCV hoses are OK and do you have any excessive pressure coming from the oil cap when you remove it?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Winching

I'll check the invoice to see about the intake manifold gasket.

The mechanic did check the PCV hoses and there is no noticeable pressure when removing the oil filler cap.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Just so you know, the intake manifold gasket is between the upper and lower manifold, with time or when being worked around it can separate and then engine vacuum will allow it to suck in oil from the valley pan gasket.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My vote is the valley pan gasket.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Winching

I confirmed that all gaskets were replaced. If it's any help, I've attached a scanned excerpt from the work order that shows labor performed and parts used. I'd have simply attached the whole thing as a PDF document, but the file-size was too large.

Thanks!

Also, this work was done on November 24, 2008. Mileage at the time was 44,981. Current mileage is 52,3xx.

Attached Thumbnails Oil consumption in 04 Disco-disco-repair.jpg  

Last edited by Disco_Fever; 03-09-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

OK, I would check both PCV hoses and the oil separator as well as the intake manifold. these are the 2 things, other then rings, and Rovers don't go thru rings, that might cause this oil consumption.
Let us know what you find.
Rover may say a quart per 1000 miles is whith in limits, my 99 D2 uses no il at all between the 3000 oil changes.