Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil consumption and oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
1qt every 1,000 miles is the standard for any car engine, new or otherwise.

I Dont believe it for a minute, I have had dam close to 50 vehicles in my lifetime and few used a anywhere near a quart in a 1000 miles unless it was pouring out.

Most have used about a 1/2 quart or so between oil changes that 3-4k miles, at your pace you would never have to change the oil, it is self changing.

Think about it, thats 3 quarts between oil changes (a 3k per change) why would you bother changing the 2 quarts left (5 quart system).

A new engine breakin will use oil and old engine with weak rings and blow-by will use oil, to say every engine new or old uses a quart per thousand miles come on.

One of my harley has a total waste oil system on it, you manually pump oil to the top end every 300 mile or so and the old drops to the ground as you drive, that doesnt even use 1 quart every thousand miles.
Go talk to any certified mechanic, thats what they will tell you.
Why would you change your oil every 3,000 miles? Almost all car manufacturer's recommend every 7,500 miles or every 12 months, whichever is sooner.
Even Land Rover says that for the DI and DII.
The 3,000 mile rule is what the oil companies and cheat their customers out of money people have set as the standard years and years ago.
No one is saying that a engine will use 1qt every 1,000 miles, all they are saying is that it is considered normal and dont bother us and dont try to fix anything unless you use more than that.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"No one is saying that a engine will use 1qt every 1,000 miles",
Well actually; yes you are, twice.

"1qt every 1,000 miles is the standard for any car engine, new or otherwise."
"1qt every 1,000 miles is 100% normal for any engine."

So if I wait until 7500 miles to change my oil change if I use anything less than 7.5 quarts between changes thats considered normal consumption.

Sorry; i just cant agree with that.

And everyone on this site must know by now that any mechanic/buisness owner will tell you ANYTHING if it will get you out of their bay.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drowssap
"No one is saying that a engine will use 1qt every 1,000 miles",
Well actually; yes you are, twice.

"1qt every 1,000 miles is the standard for any car engine, new or otherwise."
"1qt every 1,000 miles is 100% normal for any engine."

So if I wait until 7500 miles to change my oil change if I use anything less than 7.5 quarts between changes thats considered normal consumption.

Sorry; i just cant agree with that.

And everyone on this site must know by now that any mechanic/buisness owner will tell you ANYTHING if it will get you out of their bay.
You dont have to agree with it.
Yes it is considered normal for any engine.
You dont have to like it, you dont have to agree with it, it is what it is.
And on top of that who the hell cares? Does your engine use oil? No? Then why do you care what's considered normal oil consumption?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quart every 1000 miles is the "investigation point" at which a dealer will investigate an excessive oil usage claim under warranty. That figure has been around the auto industry for as long as I can remember (I started working as a mechanic in 1968). If you really want a shock, the normal oil consumption for an air cooled Porsche flat 6 is 1.5 to 2 liters every 1000km. That kind of shocked me when I first read that when I worked at a Porsche dealer. The manufacturers aren't saying that any engine will use that much oil, just that they won't warranty anything unless it exceeds that amount.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where, exactly, is all of this oil supposed to "normally" go? 50% leaked, 50% burned? I'm curious...

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
So where, exactly, is all of this oil supposed to "normally" go? 50% leaked, 50% burned? I'm curious...
Burned in the engine, so getting past the rings, valve guides, etc.
Engines are never supposed to leak oil, so if they are using it it is getting burned.

If you have a engine completely rebuilt, during the break in period excessive oil usage is expected until the new parts are "broken in", in other words they dont fit just right and oil is getting past them.
Once broken in oil consumption will stop, this is why there is "break in oil", it is a really really thin motor oil that provides little wear protection, you use it for a very short amount of time, like 500 miles.
The parts wear and then you change the oil and all is well, the engine finishes breaking in over the rest of its life.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddies 2010 Rubicon burns about a quart of oil between oil changes.

Here are a couple of references:
oil consumption - Car Talk

http://www.le-international.com/uplo...onsumption.pdf

Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not sure what normal is either - my old Passat 1.8T never used any oil until I hit about 90,000 miles and by the time I sold it with 117,000 miles on it it was using 1 qt per 1,000 miles.

I bought the Disco to replace it and from day one it used 1 qt per 1,000 miles with only a sporadic (1 drop every 4-5 days) leak underneath.

20,000 miles later (99,000 miles now) I just noticed it has increased to about 1 quart every 600 miles, yet not even a sporadic drip anymore? Is it all getting burned in the engine? Should I be worried? Truck runs well enough and I see no smoke.

I alternate using Seafoam and Techron in the tank every 1,000 miles, but outside of that, I have no idea if should I dig into this issue or just let it ride - what do you guys think???? Using Mobil 1 5w30 by the way. I could bring my own Rotella 15w/40, but the local Rover shop stocks and swears by the 5w/30 as being completely fine in all his Rovers.

Last edited by catman; 12-28-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Did you inspect the plastic drip tray under the engine for the missing oil? That is if the plastic tray is still there... It's the one with the hole in it to access the oil filter.

So any leaking oil might not be making it as far as your driveway.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by catman
I am not sure what normal is either - my old Passat 1.8T never used any oil until I hit about 90,000 miles and by the time I sold it with 117,000 miles on it it was using 1 qt per 1,000 miles.

I bought the Disco to replace it and from day one it used 1 qt per 1,000 miles with only a sporadic (1 drop every 4-5 days) leak underneath.

20,000 miles later (99,000 miles now) I just noticed it has increased to about 1 quart every 600 miles, yet not even a sporadic drip anymore? Is it all getting burned in the engine? Should I be worried? Truck runs well enough and I see no smoke.

I alternate using Seafoam and Techron in the tank every 1,000 miles, but outside of that, I have no idea if should I dig into this issue or just let it ride - what do you guys think???? Using Mobil 1 5w30 by the way. I could bring my own Rotella 15w/40, but the local Rover shop stocks and swears by the 5w/30 as being completely fine in all his Rovers.
Do a BG 109 engine treatment, trust me, it works.
$30 on e-bay.
It comes with 2 cans, one engine cleaner, one MOA additive.

Quick Reply: oil consumption and oil separator