Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil drip

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil drip

Hows everything. I just got done over the past two weeks doing the fluid changes necessary for the 60,000 mile tune up. First off (two mondays ago), I did an the ATF flush and made the switch to mobile 1 fully synthetic high mileage 10/40. The truck drove like a dream however now I seem to have a problem. There is an oil leak, although very small, leaking down the front part of the engine and covering the front part of the oil pan (I noticed a few drops under the car over the past week). I cant seem to locate where it is coming from even after I tried wiping down everything. I have noticed that I my passenger side valve cover is seeping a bit but I dont think that is the culprit. Any suggestions for this type of leak? Intake, head, crankshaft gasket? I should mention that I had the head gaskets done when the truck had roughly 60,000 miles on it so I'm hoping that isnt the issue. As I have said before it is only coming down the front of the engine...... there is no signs of a leak when looking at the engine from the side.

Another thing to mention about the leak is that it will only show up if the truck has been driven for a while. To explain, I went on a short trip a few days ago (about an hour) and when I came out of where I was there was a drip of oil on the ground (about two hours after I had parked it). However, the next day I had the truck parked for over 24 hours and nothing dripped at all. What gives?

I have heard miracle stories that the ATF flush and synthetic are supposed to renew your seals after a while so I was checking to see if any of you recommend me just waiting to see how things go. I'm kinda strapped for cash at the moment so is this something I can just keep tabs on.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: oil drip

If you don't have to add too much fluid, just keep it topped off if you don't mind the driveway stains. Don't expect it to stop anytime soon. I guess the ATF flush could loosen up enough crud to expose a leak. Synthetic fluid will also help to clean the crud off and expose leaks. It probably only leaks when being driven because 1 -the oil gets hotter and therefore thinner and2 - your oil pressure isup and it'scirculating past the leak, when it's parked it all just drains to the pan and sits.Synthetic oil is also more fluid so it can seep though easier than conventional (in thoery). I would use a heavy conventional fluid like a 20w-50 on the next oil change and hope that stops it, especially if you're strapped for cash.

Oh yeah, check your oil filter for the leak, especially if it started right after you changed the oil.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Rock Crawling

First of all, don't assume anything. Clean your motor off really well and find the leak to be sure it's not coming from critical areas (head gaskets). If it really is the front of the motor, it's likely just the front cover gasket or possible oil pan leak. If it is either of these, not urgent especially if it's a small amount.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Since you are using Mobil 1, switch to their 15W50 and it will help to slow or maybe even stop the leak. Once you start using a brand of oil you want to try and stick with that brand all the time.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I would suggest you spray the front and lower side of the engine with gunk then power scrub the whole engine, top and bottom, then wait to find your leak.
On the v/c gasket, try tightening the 2 out bolts, not too much , just past snug and see how that helps.
By the way, I am a big one on ATF flushes, but I have to tell you, they won't enhance your seals, just really help cleaning your engine.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Mudding

Hey Mike thanks for the help........... when you said tighten the two out bolts on the Valve cover did you mean the ones that are on the outer edges (furthest from the intake). They look as though they have some sort of hexagonal shape of sorts?

Also how do i go about power scrubing the engine without getting any electrical parts wet....... I'd rather have an oil leak than an electrical demon

Thanks to all for their input!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, those are the only two bolts that you can get to, I believe that they take an 8mm hex wrench. Just direct your spray at the engine block itself, I can't see how you would have any problems, I have not.A warm (not hot) engine may help some to degrease.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You don't have to worry about getting a D2 wet, they aren't bothered by water like the D1 is.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

BTW pretty sure it's a 12-point 8mm wrench. You got me thinking hex.