Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil leak!

Hello! New in here, but hopefully can get some help! We recently got a 2004 D2 for the fam camping trips and turns out the now we have an oil leak (See attached picture). Any clues where is coming from?? Thanks!

Leak!!!

Old 07-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Any clues???? Anybody?

Old 07-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

First thing before I even waste typing a repeat reply from probably 50 other similar post. Spray it down with brake cleaner underneath it. Then wipe off any other fresh looking oil & let it idle. While it's running lay under it & look. Then turn it off and see if you can see where the drip is coming from. Then report back. Without that being done you are just wasting your time trying to locate it.
Going down the road can cause oil to blow all over the place making it impossible to pin point it's actual location.

Common Spots Oil Sending Unit 99-01 (unsure of your year as you have no info to your profile, or signature.....), Oil Cooler connections 99-02, Oil Cooler Line Blank Plugs 03-04, and front timing cover, front seal, valve covers, and rear seal.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
lrdb01 (07-09-2017), No Doubt (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Thanks best4x4! It is and 04 Disco II SE. Valve covers gaskets just replaced. Will do and post back!!!!

Old 07-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Since you have an 04 I'd remove the little plastic splash shield on the inside of the RF fender. It's held in place via 3 small phillips head/8mm screws. With that removed you should be able to see the side of your oil filter assembly. I'm willing to bet the 7/8 bolt/plug that is just above the filter is probably leaking. There is another one located behind the main crank pulley. Get a 7/8 open end wrench and with a little magic hand positioning you can see if it needs tightening up.

I'm working on my friends 03 D2 and after I changed the oil it left a decent little puddle after sitting over night. I removed the same panel, sprayed the area with brake clean and boom upon startup and shutdown I could see fresh oil oozing out of the 7/8 Oil Cooler Ling Plug. Tightened up and the leak went away.

The following users liked this post:
lrdb01 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Drifting

So, I'm decided to find out from where the oil is coming, following the advises of best4x4. Although it will be a whole easier if I can remove the under-body splash shield, that seems some magic is needed to take it out in one piece, and being so new in the game, I don't know any. I hate the idea of the saw, as many recommended in the forum. Ideas????

Old 07-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Drifting

You were right sir! Bolt plug for the blank olive cooler is leaking!! Hopefully it is the only place. Oil leak!
Oil leak!!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by lrdb01
Although it will be a whole easier if I can remove the under-body splash shield, that seems some magic is needed to take it out in one piece, and being so new in the game, I don't know any. I hate the idea of the saw, as many recommended in the forum. Ideas????
Best to remove and never reinstall.

I was able to remove mine in one piece by removing the steering stabilizer and sliding it out forward.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Now with that dude leaking just like my friends 03 use a 7/8 open end wrench and you should be able to spot it from that side panel in the fender & feed your hand up thru the oil filter access hole & pull down.

I was able to get 2 1/2 good turns on my friends & boom problem solved. The splash shield does limit access, but it's kinda nice at keeping driveways clean & from keeping mud flying up into the engine bay while off roading. If it's not broken I say leave it. If it's cracked then just rip it out.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Since you have an 04 I'd remove the little plastic splash shield on the inside of the RF fender. It's held in place via 3 small phillips head/8mm screws. With that removed you should be able to see the side of your oil filter assembly. I'm willing to bet the 7/8 bolt/plug that is just above the filter is probably leaking. There is another one located behind the main crank pulley. Get a 7/8 open end wrench and with a little magic hand positioning you can see if it needs tightening up.

I'm working on my friends 03 D2 and after I changed the oil it left a decent little puddle after sitting over night. I removed the same panel, sprayed the area with brake clean and boom upon startup and shutdown I could see fresh oil oozing out of the 7/8 Oil Cooler Ling Plug. Tightened up and the leak went away.
I have an 03, I assume it has the same panel. Where exactly is it?

Quick Reply: Oil leak!