Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak mystery - getting worse. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With your mileage, I would get new hoses and a separator for the PVC system and replace them befor eyou get too far into it. They are probably down to goo by now and the separator will be clogged.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you think the hoses will crack/tear on me if I try to clean it tomorrow?

I think my back-ordered tail light guards are shipping Monday from AB, maybe I can throw in their PCV kit with them. I like having the piece of mind knowing I replaced those hoses - I'm about to jump on the entire cooling system for the same reasons.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been oil leak free after replacing the oil pressure switch about a year ago, (knock on wood) And Spike, I've checked, and continue to check, to make sure i'm not empty,lol.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Winching

Hey guys - had a chance to tighten the rocker cover bolts (the outside 4) and 3 of them were loose - driver side front was VERY loose.

It appears to be leaking at the same (faster) rate as yesterday though. Looks like I'm going to have to crawl under there later tonight in the 20's while its snowing and check the oil filter mount and pressure switch.

Is this the switch?

I took these last night - oil in the catch pans is after one night.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, that's the switch

Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Well....... this IS a Land Rover so there are a few possibilities. Sounds like you are on the right track with the above advice, but I would like to suggest that you get a couple of cans of engine degreaser and go to the local car wash and clean it as well as possible ( being carefull not to hose down any of the electrical components any more than neccessarry)
It'll be a lot easier to spot the leak (s).

Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
Well....... this IS a Land Rover so there are a few possibilities. Sounds like you are on the right track with the above advice, but I would like to suggest that you get a couple of cans of engine degreaser and go to the local car wash and clean it as well as possible ( being carefull not to hose down any of the electrical components any more than neccessarry)
It'll be a lot easier to spot the leak (s).

Yeah, you're right.. I really need to do this.

I hate this weather so much - if it was warm out I'd RATHER be under the 'rover working on it, but right now I don't want to go near these problems haha.

Ahhh I need a heated garage with an SUV lift.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

if you get a heated garage and an suv lift, you most definitely will have many, many friends.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do not used degreaser or any cleaners on your engine. Just use water, most places are heated and that will be enough. Cleaners will eat your seals and you will be looking at a bigger problem..

Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Man that is one nasty looking engine......get the truck to running temp and use some simple green. Use a spray bottle and cover the oil and related crud, let sit for a few minutes and repeat where necessary, you may want to use a brush on the tougher spots, or a toothpick and some dental floss to get it as clean as Disco Mike's engine bay! It works great and is safe for you and the environment, as well as your truck's seals. Once you get it cleaned up it will make locating the source of the leaks 100 percent easier to find. Phil

Quick Reply: Oil leak mystery - getting worse. Any ideas?