Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak mystery - getting worse. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I vote for the oil pressure sending unit

Had the same problem with my 1994 Disco I at about 240,000 miles

Crawled under there and it was pretty easy to spot if the engine was running and the bottom cover is off. Just point your shinny new led head flashlight (I got one too, ain't it neat - I look like a miner when I come out from underneath, complete with smudge marks and all). Disconnect the electrical wire and wipe it down with a rag and if its "weeping" you'll be able to see it.

I attribute the long life 250,000 plus miles, and "pristine" condition (that is if you can see it through the oil) of the frame to the constant protection of the oil provided by the Land Rover Engineers and their clever use of those leaks to keep things lubed up

Good luck. Let us know what it turns out to be - "curious minds want to know."

PS: I was away from home when I found this and didn't have any handcleaner like Go-Jo or similar. My sister-in-law has some "Shout with Resolve" she uses for her cloths so I tried that in a pinch. Now I NEVER USE ANYTHING ELSE - MAN IS THAT GREAT STUFF!!!! Try it and you'll never go back to the regular things like Go-Jo again. It gets the grime even out of the cracks in you skin like you've never seen.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking

that is because it melts off the top three layers of your fingers and palms........Phil

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default skin loss?

Never noticed the skin loss (lol) but I guess I was comparing that to using the wire brush on my knuckles and finger nails to get the grime out! I figured if it was good for the undies it can't be too bad for my skin!

Try it, you'll like it! And if you don't, you can relegate it to the laundry room.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After you pressure wash everything under there check the oil cooler hoses from the oil filter housing to the radiator. Mine were leaking were the hose joined the metal ends and the oil dripped off of the oil filter. My steering box is leaking too, but the fluid stays on the left side. I always volunteer to wash the dishes for my wife after I work on my D1, the soap cleans my finger and fingernails and she thinks I am the best husband.

Last edited by grussell; 02-17-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
After you pressure wash everything under there check the oil cooler hoses from the oil filter housing to the radiator. Mine were leaking were the hose joined the metal ends and the oil dripped off of the oil filter. My steering box is leaking too, but the fluid stays on the left side. I always volunteer to wash the dishes for my wife after I work on my D1, the soap cleans my finger and fingernails and she thinks I am the best husband.
You sneaky muti-tasker you ....

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
You sneaky muti-tasker you ....
Haha you guys are cracking me up.

Sorry for the delays, I know the suspense is killing you all

I drove the mustang to work today.. need a break from all the leaks, rattles, 12mpg, and not being able to keep up with traffic haha (at least not if I want to KEEP 12mpg that is) since a 37 degree high/partly cloudy looks like all I'm going to get before it starts to snow again and the roads get gross on Mon-Tues.
Haha spent almost 2 hours chipping the ice "bump" off the end of my driveway so everything was perfectly flat and it wouldn't get stuck or hit anything.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Winching

Wait, what's this switch then?!

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AMR2092.cfm

Hah $8, score! I can't even buy a lug nut for that cheap.

Last edited by EstorilM; 02-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is what you need. The pic you posted earlier is a coolant temp sensor or a fan switch...

Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Winching

Okay so I'm back inside after messing with this thing for a while - I've learned a few things, but I don't think it's resolved yet.

First thing I did was take some pictures before I cleaned it, and checked some bolts - the 4 oil filter housing bolts were tight, so that isn't it. The oil filter itself however, was loose - I got about 1/4 turn out of it, however I'm not sure if this could cause that type of leak. I'm thinking it was leaking, but isn't the main cause.

I tried to unbolt that plastic lower engine splash guard however it is RUSTED in place and nothing is gonna budge. I like the idea of having a cover there, but obviously if I destroy the bolts getting them out, it's not going to go back on. I'll try a socket when I get some of my tools from work.

I'm guessing you can't spot that pressure switch with the cover there? I looked for a while but couldn't locate it.

SO I just cleaned everything off with degreaser (didn't let it sit long on anything with rubber/plastic components, also sprayed WD-40 type stuff [called QD PowerLube] on the bushings and power steering parts).

Then, I decided to make you all proud and spend another hour and a half cleaning the engine bay! It was pretty gross, and I'll feel better about driving it around knowing there isn't years worth of crap covering every component under the hood!

Some pics:
Oil filter after ~1/4 turn, before clean.

This must have something to do with it, this was after I rinsed down there, but what are these two lines going to/coming from? The oil cooler? They seem pretty nicely covered! This is from the driver side engine bay/fender shooting down past/in front of exhaust manifold behind radiator from above.

Squeaky-clean engine bay! Sorta. Damn you should have seen it before though! Imagine that picture I posted earlier (the cameraphone one) except with that kinda dirt/oil/grease in the engine bay.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Winching

Oh on a side note, when I was under there I took my screwdriver and tried to spin the aux fan, and sure enough that baby is good and seized! I kinda knew it was since it was blowing fuses, but that should be my next project as the weather starts getting warmer. Doesn't look like my 16" MrGasket fan is going to fit - it's actually slimmer than the stock one, but I don't think I've got the diameter for it.

Quick Reply: Oil leak mystery - getting worse. Any ideas?