Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil light intermittant after timing cover gasket change and now headgasket too?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes 17 ft lbs rings a bell.

I changed out the oil pump gears. The Oil filter/Rotella thread has me interested. I'll acquire a oil pressure gauge first and go from there to see if the filter change makes an improvement. Right now i dont know if its going to 5psi or 0psi (scary).

Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

244 degrees will kill that engine so no more restarting it, if you can help it.
As for the white smoke, took my truck 25 minutes of driving before all the coolant was burned from the exhaust system.
Let us know what you find.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Your oil pressure is LOW as the antifreeze has damaged the bearings on the crankshaft and the oil is just blowing thru.

You could spin the crank if you keep running it.

I would fix the antifreeze leak first - in the timing cover.

If the heads are bad again , well that may get antifreeze into the oil via the valley gasket if there is a coolant leak at the valley gasket.

And lastly, once all that is done, to regain oil pressure, you probably need to replace the engine bearings if they are showing copper.

Also - I have heard that the oil pump in an '03 can be assembled bad from the factory and the oil pump gears can get cracked and there is an alignment issue with the timing cover.

Sorry to drag all this bad stuff out but - needs sorted.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another common problem with the timing cover if the gasket shifts slightly if over tight and it will dump coolant into the oil pan and dilute your oil, dropping your oil pressure and overheating. Pull the dipstick and check for contamination.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfall
Your oil pressure is LOW as the antifreeze has damaged the bearings on the crankshaft and the oil is just blowing thru.

You could spin the crank if you keep running it.

I would fix the antifreeze leak first - in the timing cover.

If the heads are bad again , well that may get antifreeze into the oil via the valley gasket if there is a coolant leak at the valley gasket.

And lastly, once all that is done, to regain oil pressure, you probably need to replace the engine bearings if they are showing copper.

Also - I have heard that the oil pump in an '03 can be assembled bad from the factory and the oil pump gears can get cracked and there is an alignment issue with the timing cover.

Sorry to drag all this bad stuff out but - needs sorted.
I have already done rhe timing cover, oil pump gears, and chain. Going to stick to checking the oil pressure and see if I can get it to go up. Once I can do that I know I have an engine to invest a head gasket job in. A compression test should tell me if a cylinder is not holding and if its a corner cylinder I can surmise the head gasket is definately an issue.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

have you looked at your oil to make sure the timing cover has not flooded it with anti freeze?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

OK then I am betting your lower mains are out of tolerance and your big end rod bearings are out of spec and showing copper.

The antifreeze in the oil will confirm.

When you changed your oil - if you did it in the sunlight - you'll see the small metal bits glinting in the sun..

If your oil pump is OK
and you have had antifreeze in your sump then gotta be your main and big end rod bearings are allowing too much oil out..

I would go to Rotella 20-50w if you continue to run this way.
Never synthetic.

I bet at idle there is a slight lower end knock.

The only other place oil can leak is up at the rocker arms and the rocker arm shaft.

If one of those is loose - or worked loose or you forgot to torque a bolt on one of those then that might do it.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Overlanding

Did you put the oil pump gears in correctly? There is a right and wrong way to put the outer gear in.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why did you replace the oil pump and timing set?
Was there a problem with them or just the leaking gasket?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dscostk
Did you put the oil pump gears in correctly? There is a right and wrong way to put the outer gear in.
The replacement gears (atlantic british ) are not marked on either side and searching the forum showed they could go in either way. Are there typically markings on the outer gear to show otherwise?

Quick Reply: Oil light intermittant after timing cover gasket change and now headgasket too?