Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Light Intermittently popping up at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021 | 05:37 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Angry Oil Light Intermittently popping up at idle.

I have a 2003 Discovery 2, 131k miles. A few months ago when I posted here I had just purchased the car and had been trying to figure out some of the issues on it. After a few months have passed and I've gotten more familiar with the truck I've figured out some of the issues I've had and they've been solved. Unfortunately the newest one is a doozy. When I had gotten the oil changed on the car a few months ago, I had put in 5W-30 not knowing the truck takes a higher viscosity oil. After getting it changed at idle the oil light would flash and the truck would die. Talked to my mechanic and they said "try thicker oil before dropping the pan" and I agreed. Doing this had fixed this issue. Now fast forward 4 months later; at idle the oil light today intermittently popped up. I was worried the truck was going to flat out die again in traffic, so I pulled over and got it towed back to my house. Oil is scheduled to be changed this week regardless, as I had talked to my mechanic a few days ago. For the last few months the truck has run rough at idle, today it seemed no different.

So, here's the kicker. Yesterday while I was installing an LED fog light on the truck, the positive battery cable clamp fell and hit the battery terminal. A large spark was emitted. After this; I let the truck sit and hooked it back up. Today my Ultra-gauge read a new code: "P1668" (which I have never seen before). Is it possible that this spark may have shorted something out? Oil Pressure Switch?

Could anyone here help me out? I think driving the truck isn't a good idea at the moment, but I am curious why this light is popping up now.

Thank you.

Edit: At idle the light would occasionally flicker too and go away? It did continuously go on as I was stopping at the lights.

Last edited by gleepglorp; 06-24-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2021 | 06:08 PM

Only way to find out is measure your oil pressure

Old 06-23-2021 | 07:43 PM
Camel Trophy

low oil pressure should not kill the engine, but a cracked or broken oil pump might

Old 06-23-2021 | 07:57 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
low oil pressure should not kill the engine, but a cracked or broken oil pump might
The thing is: since putting 15-W40 oil into the engine it hasn't died. Even with the oil light popping up today it didn't die. Possibly a broken/cracked oil pump as the issue? Just a bit confused on why this happened all of a sudden today, suspiciously after that spark and P1668 code popped up.

Old 06-23-2021 | 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by gleepglorp
The thing is: since putting 15-W40 oil into the engine it hasn't died. Even with the oil light popping up today it didn't die. Possibly a broken/cracked oil pump as the issue? Just a bit confused on why this happened all of a sudden today, suspiciously after that spark and P1668 code popped up.

don’t mess with oil pressure don’t guess
get yourself a oil pressure test kit and see what it’s at
these oil pumps do crack and break
i got a new oil pump and front cover last year and paid a shop to supply and install $1600 Canadian
If your going to gamble you are asking for trouble.

Old 06-23-2021 | 08:28 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I don't have enough room to do an oil pressure test (I live in an apartment, car is in the parking lot and am not allowed to work on it). I may just bring it into a mechanic in a few days, would just letting it sit be okay or will that seize the engine? (there is an oil leak that I've known about for a while)

edit: also the oil level is a bit low. It's not under the "fill" line though, maybe add some in and see what happens? I've been reading that 80k-100k is usually when oil pump gears break (I'm in the Death VIN) and I'm 100% positive it's been replaced (according to past records)

Last edited by gleepglorp; 06-23-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2021 | 08:58 PM

It won’t seize just sitting there but I would bring it to your mechanic and he can do a simple pressure test. By the time you get there the oil should be hot and if the pressure is below 6-8 psi I would replace pump

The following users liked this post:
gleepglorp (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021 | 03:37 AM
TReK

Did you use a scan tool to clear the P1668 code? I think that one is a communications fault between some of the security modules.

Old 06-24-2021 | 08:15 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mollusc
Did you use a scan tool to clear the P1668 code? I think that one is a communications fault between some of the security modules.
I have a UG hooked up, could I clear it with that?

Old 06-24-2021 | 08:28 AM
TReK

I don't know. You could try it.

Quick Reply: Oil Light Intermittently popping up at idle.