Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Plug (Bolt) WILL NOT tighten!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 12:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Plug (Bolt) WILL NOT tighten!!!

So, as I am changing the oil for the first time in this new-to-me truck, the oil pug felt a little funny coming out, but on its way in.... It screws all the way in, but will not tighten. Just spins around. The threads on the bolt seem fine. So, I slapped on a rubber gasket, and tried tightening it up that way. Still, will not tighten. Just ever so slightly. I got no choice now, but I guess this is yet another "common problem" on these fine vehicles? So, I need to have the oil pan re-tapped for a larger thread size? What would that be, does anybody know? Thanks

Old 09-03-2022, 02:23 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I don’t think this is a common problem on these. I think someone either stripped the threads in the oil pan, or installed the wrong plug. If the pan is stripped you will probably need to remove the pan to repair it. It won’t be a big deal but you shouldn’t use your vehicle until you fix it. An oil plug that falls out will really ruin your day.

Old 09-03-2022, 04:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

Closest size is probably 9/16 drain plug and then you also need drill/tap or another option would be getting a good used oil pan.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I remember decades ago seeing or using some kind of a rubber plug that could be used at least temporarily in a case like this.

If I were you I would check with a parts store to see if something like that is available or what they suggest.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve seen people run these in an emergency - wouldn’t recommend long term though.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOE6004001

Old 09-03-2022, 09:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

You can repair it without removing the oil pan. Get a spiral flute tap so it pulls the shavings out of the hole instead of pushing them into the oil pan.

Not a bad idea to then pour a quart of sacrificial oil thru with the plug still out just in case a small shaving got in. I've had no issue with this method in the past.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mln01
I remember decades ago seeing or using some kind of a rubber plug that could be used at least temporarily in a case like this.

If I were you I would check with a parts store to see if something like that is available or what they suggest.
Yeah, I got this rubber thing. Haven't installed it yet, but got it in the glove box. Drove a few miles so far, with the original plug in.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If the threads are catching, but not tightening, try a few wraps of Teflon tape and see if it will snug up a bit. That should temporarily work, if it will snug up.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:20 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
If the threads are catching, but not tightening, try a few wraps of Teflon tape and see if it will snug up a bit. That should temporarily work, if it will snug up.
Dude, it's funny that you mentioned it, I just thought the same thing earlier today, after having paid visits to Autozone and Advanced Auto, I went to Home Depo and got the tape. Will try tomorrow. I plan to remove the plug half-way, so that the oil does not drain out, and see if I can fix this for the next few thousand miles. And then we'll see. Really have a lot going on right now. But I do like the truck so far, despite the stupid little things that should not even happen in the first place.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:44 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I don’t think Land Rover can be blamed for a stripped oil plug. People strip threads on any make of vehicle.

Quick Reply: Oil Plug (Bolt) WILL NOT tighten!!!