Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge

Has anyone sucessfully mounted an oil pressure gauge in their Disco, or any other rover V8? I'm trying to mount one in my 95 but can't seem to find an adaptor. All the ones I come across are NPT tapered thread. The STD Rover oil sender looks to be a straight thread, not tapered. I can't even tell if it's metric or STD? It seems to be slightly bigger than 12mm, but smaller than 14mm, and these are the adaptors I have. Ihave afew STD adaptors and none of those fit either?I'm looking to find away to mount a gauge take off lineand also have the STD sender still mounted, something like a T or Y adaptor with two openings. One for the gauge and one for the stock light. Or is there an electronic sender out there with atwo pole output, one for the light & one for the gauge? I did a search on the forum but no one seems to have confirmed whether they mounted one or not.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Oil pressure gauge

I guess no one has any ideas on this huh?! I kind of had a feeling thatno onereally had much experience with it by looking at the prior posts about this subject.I'm thinking I may have to buy another OEM sender and hollow out my old one, then have it tapped to take a STD US size NPT thread, so it can become the "adpator" Or go to LR dealer and see if they'll sell me one for a few hundred $$$ LOL?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pull your sending unit, or get another one and take it to a Swagelok or Parker fitting distributor that is close to you. They will be able to tell you the size and thread and get you a tee that you can put on your engine. Then you can add a gauge.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Thx OKdisco. That was my next step to pull it off and take it to a few places, try & get it sized up.I figured I'd need a day of running around and hadn't had the time to commit to it yet. Plus I'll have to leave the Disco immobile in the drive while I do it. I've seen replacement sensors on ebay for $10 so I was thinking I might buy a new one and then I could use the old one to offer up while researching the project.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, that's why I added you might want to get another one. I think I got one at Autozone for $13. Worth that to have the truck running. The only problem you may face is that it uses a flat surface to seal. I can't remember which gasket I used with mine, but not having tapered threads may pose a problem, but then again, you could just use the tapered and a brass fitting. With the low pressure, it should be ok. Another thought is the material you use. I know RP tends to leech copper from the oil cooler on the newer C15 Caterpillar engines ( I am not sure if others do this as well, CAT is having some problems with their engines right now...)

Old 12-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling

This is turning out to be hard! There's not really enough space for a T-piece. The sealing surface on mine is dished on the oil pump body side, and an o-ring is the sealing media. I may have found a compact T that may get in there, but it doesn't have a large flat face to seal the o-ring against it! The thread that seems to match is a ½" 20 pitch STD, or a 5/16th brake line thread fits also. Spent over $40 on fittings yesterday, but still may have to buy a couple more to make it work?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Oh the metric thread pitch is 1.25 mm and would seem to be about 13mm in diameter. But nobody around here seems to stock such a thing as a 13mm bolt thread shank size. It's all 12 or 14 mm.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[align=left]Could you install a hardline from the fitting to bring it up somewhere you can make the T?
[/align][align=right] [/align]

Old 12-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy

I was going to suggest either using SS tubing to get it out of the way, or tapping into your oil cooler lines...Might want to make sure to bleed the tube if you extend it to get the air out and get a better reading if you extend it...

Old 12-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: ajh

[align=left]Could you install a hardline from the fitting to bring it up somewhere you can make the T?
[/align][align=right][/align]
Yes if I put a bend in it. I'm thinking this maybe the only way? I was hoping to avoid this though for the reason OKdisco mentioned. I figured it will end up full of air & BE hard to get out. It seems like the oil drains out of the port for the pressure switch when the vehicle sits over night anyway. When I take out the pressure switch when it's cold the port is empty, compared to a couple of tablespoons of oil coming out of it if I take it out when it's hot. Project is on hold until next weekend now, I ran out of time this weekend. I think I've found a tee, but I'll have to "machine" it a bit to make it work.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge