Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure light on at initial startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure light on at initial startup

My oil pressure light recently started staying on at initial startup for up to a minute.After the light goes off, I can turn off the vehicle, restart and the light goes off immediately.

The oil was changedapproximately 1500 miles ago with 15w30 / 10w30 synthethic blend and a carquest filter.

A couple ofquestions.

1) Is it ok to idle the car with the oil light on and drive it after the light goes off?

2) Root cause and recommended solution?

Thanks in advance for your speedy responses.I currently have it parked until I resolve the issue.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: oil pressure light on at initial startup

Quit using car quest filters, use only Mobil 1 or K&N 3001 filters to insure proper oil pressure at starts.
I would also suggest you need to do an engine flus to free up some of your internal junk.
Get back to me if you want more information.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, what if you have flushed 3 times, dropped the pan and cleaned the pickup tube on a motor with 100K on it. I have used K&N or WIX filters since 50K on the motor. Do I need to pull the front cover and clean it out? I have already pulled the valve covers and cleaned the rocker assemblies.

Didn't really notice when it was warm outside, but sometimes(now that it is 20 out), i can count to 10 before it goes out. If it doesn't go out by 3, I shut it down and try again. I have 10W30 in now.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread, but I though it might give more info for you as well.....

Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

With our 0 degree mornings, I have never had my oil light stay on. With all that you have done, I would do an oil pressure test, both when cold and at operatring temp, at idle and at 2000 RPM, and see what that shows. Either you oil send is bad or you may have an oil pump issue.
Let me know what you find.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy

sending unit is new. I will check pressure. I just noticed my oil cooler lines leaking a little at the metal fittings to the hoses. I am kinds thinking I am loosing prime with the hoses leaking off.. posibility?

I'll get back to you on the PSI.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

What filter are you loosing? You would have to have a pretty good leak to loose prime.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

This is my first oil change since purchasing the vehicle and thecarquest filter is what the oil & lube shop used. I didn't realize that it made a difference.

Also, do you have a recommendation on the oil to use in Austin, TX.

Thanks for the advice. I will replace the filter and see if that solves my problem.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: cgee

Mike,

This is my first oil change since purchasing the vehicle and thecarquest filter is what the oil & lube shop used. I didn't realize that it made a difference.

Also, do you have a recommendation on the oil to use in Austin, TX.

Thanks for the advice. I will replace the filter and see if that solves my problem.
10W30 should suite your truck fine. You could probably go up to 10W40 since it stay relatively warm there. Just make sure and change it every 3K for regular and no more than 5K for synthetic. These trucks run rich and tend to carbon up. I noticed you said first oil change. Do a search for the 60K service and start knocking the list out. This is a must if you don't know the service history.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Because of your trucks mileage, consider doing a ATF flush prior to you next oil change, should really improve oil flow.
In you area, a 10W/30 or 10W/40 will be fine, then you just need to decide if you want to go with a synthetic or dino fluid.
For years I used Castrol's blend, which is a partial synthetic, had great results, now I am going to a full synthetic.
What ever you do, change the regular oil every 3000 miles or the synthetic every 5000 miles.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Camel Trophy

Mike, I have a Wix on there now, but I had a K&N. It seemed to be a little worse with the K&N. I might get a drop or 2 every time I park it. That is a big Might.

Quick Reply: oil pressure light on at initial startup