Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sucking

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oil pressure sucking

So I've got a bit of a snowball forming here. My valve covers are getting new gaskets as soon as I have a warm enough weekend. In the process I plan to throw on some new Magnecor 8mm wires I've had sitting on the shelf.

The oil pressure light started flickering today. So I plugged the oil pressure gauge back in to see what's really going on and sure enough, the pressure's nominal. Showing 6-8 PSI at warm idle. First I'm planning to pull the pan and check the pickup to make sure the screen's not all caked with goop before I start tearing schtuff apart.

Failing that, I guess I'm looking at an oil pump gear overhaul. Figure since I'm just about at 110K miles, I'm going to consider water pump replacement while I'm at it. Should I be doing timing chain and gears as well? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Gavin

Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Well you NEED to drop the oil pan in order to do the oil pump so you have nothing to lose. Likewise for the timing chain, so you might as well invest the $125 + 15 minutes to do it while your in there. And why put on an old water pump, unless you know its age?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

And rtv that timing cover gasket, as they are known to fail and look exactly like a blown head gasket.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 AM
Baja

ONE CORRECTION put a thin layer of black RTV on everything

Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Timing chain as well. Also, remember to disassemble and clean the oil pump bypass valves BEFORE you put the front cover back on. Don't ask me how I know that...

Old 02-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Mudding

Thanks all!

Ordered:

PCI timing chain and gears (eBay)
ATX water pump (BPUtah)
valve cover gaskets (AB)
upper intake gasket (AB)
oil pump kit w/ all required gaskets (AB)

May just say "go for broke" (literally and figuratively) and throw the new Blacklisted engine mounts on the list while I'm crawling around down there...

Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 AM
Baja

do you really think that big 260 cu in motor is going to be ripping motor mounts apart.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Changing the oil pump is not going to get your oil pressure up. You either have serious crank and rod bearing wear, or a cam bearing is walking out. You can check the cam bearings with the valley open. You can check the crank/rod bearings easily with the oil pan off.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Mudding

Okay, I was kind of afraid somebody might say something to that affect. But better to be prepared I suppose. So what I'm looking at is dropping the main and connecting rod bearings one at a time, reassembling each to check clearance around the journal with plastigauge? Based on that number/width I can determine which bearings might be needed for each journal, right? If there's an issue there, it should solve my low oil pressure I'm hoping.

Barring that, I'm digging into the valley pan I guess. And hoping for no spun bearings...

Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
do you really think that big 260 cu in motor is going to be ripping motor mounts apart.
I'm not so concerned that the engine has the power to rip the mounts apart, more that the mounts are probably up to typical English production auto engineering standards. So 11 years and 110K miles have maybe done them in?

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sucking