Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Test: Where do I connect the gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Test: Where do I connect the gauge?

Hey everyone,

I bought a cheap oil pressure gauge and want to get oil pressure readings on my 04’ D2. No reason to believe there is an issue, it’s more because I like learning how to do stuff on the truck and want to gauge the health of the engine.

See the picture below. Which one of the these do I remove to connect the oil pressure gauge?

I am having a hard time removing the electrical connector on the top one (assume that is the sending unit?).

If the the red arrow is the only option, this will take a little longer...

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2020, 04:57 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

I used the port where the oil sensor goes in. Take out electrical connection and unscrew sensor. Plug yours in

Old 12-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

You can't remove the oil pressure switch, otherwise your oil light will be constantly on. Above the switch there is another port which is plugged. This could be used, but the space is very tight and it needs to be extended in order to have enough space. I recommend using the unused oil cooler port (yellow). This port is before the oil filter, but the pressure drop is negligible. In both cases you need an adapter first. Threads are: M20x1.5 (yellow), 1/2"x20 UNF (red). Another option is to use a sandwich plate.

The following users liked this post:
arains44 (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling

@Discorama I think I have the right adapter for the oil cooler port. That is by far the easiest access point.

Ran out of time to knock this out today, but I’ll do it ASAP and post results!

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Discorama
You can't remove the oil pressure switch, otherwise your oil light will be constantly on. Above the switch there is another port which is plugged. This could be used, but the space is very tight and it needs to be extended in order to have enough space. I recommend using the unused oil cooler port (yellow). This port is before the oil filter, but the pressure drop is negligible. In both cases you need an adapter first. Threads are: M20x1.5 (yellow), 1/2"x20 UNF (red). Another option is to use a sandwich plate.
oh I miss understood I thought he was just checking pressure.

in that case you can get a oil filter adapter. I’ve had good luck with glow shift

Old 12-13-2020, 06:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

I used a Glow Shift Sandwich plate and put the gauge in to that. If my pressure was marginal I was going to mount the gauge in the engine bay for frequent checkups, but thankfully it was pretty good so I decided to disconnect it and remove the plate, but I still have it for the future if needed. Might spring for a digital sensor/gauge in the future and mount it in the cabin but no plans for that right now.

Richard Gallant (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 08:50 AM
Rock Crawling

@redwhitekat I am just checking pressure, not installing a gauge.

It sounds to me like using the blocked off oil cooler port is the way to go. I ran out of time to put the gauge on yesterday once I got feedback on that on this thread.

So just clarifying, I’m not installing a gauge, just testing pressure.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by arains44

It sounds to me like using the blocked off oil cooler port is the way to go. I ran out of time to put the gauge on yesterday once I got feedback on that on this thread.

ok well depends on the kit you got it may not have the fitting to go on those ports
I bought a oil pressure kit gauge off Amazon and it came with a bunch of fittings. None fit on the disco
I managed to find a fitting from my black iron gas fittings that went into the oil pressure sensor Port but not well
you can use any of those ports as long as your gauge fitting threads into it

It’s a good piece of mind what your doing. Let the truck run or drive it for a hour or so let it sit for 10-15 after to let oil drain back to sump ( or oil will come out when you take any of those ports off messy ) and then take your oil reading when the oil is hot. If it’s anywhere near low it’s a good time to do oil pump gears and front timing cover

Last edited by redwhitekat; 12-14-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by arains44

You can get a plug that fits the ports perfectly at advance or oreily, aluminum. Drill and tap the center for one of the fittings that came in your kit, probably 1/8" npt. Screw in the tapped plug for your test, replace with factory plug when done. I have one each for the 03-04 port and the factory sender port (different size threads).

arains44 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Right there where you've got the yellow arrow, I took that plug out. Drilled the center of the plug and tapped to the correct pipe thread. Worked perfectly for me.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Test: Where do I connect the gauge?