Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump cover plate removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
No used my impact gun on the 1/2" adapter. Turn the air down low to start with and work your way up, you only need to break it loose. Hold pressure down on the screw and you should be good

ok checked your rebuild thread and see that you used an air impact. I have that and will now try to track down the correct size bit. I have all of the other adapters ,sockets, etc you mentioned.

I had thought about using an air impact but was afraid it may bugger up the screw. You only get like one try with that and if it is not perfect you're in trouble. I guess low air pressure and lots of downward pressure will be the key.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 08-06-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall, the phillips bit size is PH3.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
ok checked your rebuild thread and see that you used an air impact. I have that and will now try to track down the correct size bit. I have all of the other adapters ,sockets, etc you mentioned.

I had thought about using an air impact but was afraid it may bugger up the screw. You only get like one try with that and if it is not perfect you're in trouble.
I understand your fears, I remember going through the same thought process. In the end the impact worked perfect and I had all the screws out in under a minute and no issues what so ever. I hope you have the same experience.

I really think that with the correct bit, starting with low air pressure, and pressing down hard on the impact you will be just fine. Once you get the first screw out you should have the perfect air setting and shouldn't need to adjust it up or down again.

You need loctite on the screws when you reinstall so if you don't have that yet you might want to grab it when you go out.

I'm curious to see if your gears are cracked. I think more people find them cracked then not so we shall see.

Last edited by Jared9220; 08-06-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I understand your fears, I remember going through the same thought process. In the end the impact worked perfect and I had all the screws out in under a minute and no issues what so ever. I hope you have the same experience.

I really think that with the correct bit, starting with low air pressure, and pressing down hard on the impact you will be just fine. Once you get the first screw out you should have the perfect air setting and shouldn't need to adjust it up or down again.

You need loctite on the screws when you reinstall so if you don't have that yet you might want to grab it when you go out.

I'm curious to see if your gears are cracked. I think more people find them cracked then not so we shall see.
yea when I rebuilt my other one the screws came right out. I took the cover off of two more and the screws came right out. This one is trying me.

I put blue loctite on the one I just rebuilt. and new gears... it did have a broken outer ring.

The other two didn't have broken rings but, when I'm putting those motors back together I will probably just put new gears in anyway, since one is 120K.

The other is 70K and will decide on it when I get to building it back up.

thanks for the tips, going into town this afternoon and will see if I can pick up the correct bit and go from there.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Francopacks
If I recall, the phillips bit size is PH3.
Thanks on that!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Good thing about the hammer impact is that by hitting it you ensure the bit is fully engaged. I too was worried about using air impact.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
ok, does it have a # for the correct bit size?

I suppose I can take a screw out of another cover to carry with me while shopping for the bit.
This guy says it's a #2 but I make no promises

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...il-pump-51602/

Lots of people use Phillips without issues, but I just figured if it's already giving you problems you might have better luck with the pozidriv. To confirm if it's really pozidriv on your screws, there should be an X stamped into the head between the points of the cross.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Finally...kept digging till I found all of the correct tools for the job. Then it took every bit of 2 minutes to get the screws out.

I forgot how handy that little impact is. Don't use it much but when you need it you need it. I also forgot you can pull the end off to expose a 3/8" drive. I opened the box this morning and didn't even think to look.

I had a snap-on SP32A socket bit that I think has a pozi-driv tip? may be phillips?, not sure but, it couldn't have fit any better though.... the tip is flat and it sit right in there like it was made for it.

The only problem was that it is a 1/2" drive so then I had to dig more till I found a 3/8" female to 1/2" male (bass-akwards) adapter but then I was set.

Thanks jafir, yes the screws are pozi-driv. Has an X stamped same as the attached image.

Somebody somewhere completely overhauled an engine while I was looking for a screwdriver tip. haha!

I have GOT to organize my tools.

The oil pump is not broken in this one but I'll check it with a straight edge and feeler gauge per RAVE. Does everyone just go ahead and change those out regardless? Not sure of the mileage on this one.

Thanks everybody for your help! I would hate to have screwed something up over not having the correct $10 tool.

Attached Thumbnails Oil pump cover plate removal questions-dsc00181.jpg   Oil pump cover plate removal questions-dsc00182.jpg   Oil pump cover plate removal questions-pozi-drive_screw_head.jpg  

Last edited by RicketyTick; 08-07-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't it funny how a difficult job can become easy with the right tools? I will never have enough tools and I'm always looking through craigslist for ex-wife's cleaning out the cheating husbands garage for pennies and a laugh.

It's totally your call if want to replace the gears if they are not cracked. I personally would replace the gears since you are there.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Isn't it funny how a difficult job can become easy with the right tools? I will never have enough tools and I'm always looking through craigslist for ex-wife's cleaning out the cheating husbands garage for pennies and a laugh.

It's totally your call if want to replace the gears if they are not cracked. I personally would replace the gears since you are there.

Thanks Jared, yes I spend way more time looking for tools than using them. I desperately need more tool storage. my stuff is scattered.
I have two stacking cabinets full, one cabinet bottom full, one gang box full, another rolling cabinet full, and a cargo van about a foot deep in loose hand and misc tools (that need cabinets for proper storage).
I used to have a 4K sq ft. garage to work on all of my projects but, sold that building and moved everything here to the house and only have an 800 sq ft garage which is just about too cluttered to work in.... haven't got everything back organized yet.... which is a pain!

Last edited by RicketyTick; 08-07-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil pump cover plate removal questions