Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL pump gear replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts
Default OIL pump gear replacement?

I looked in Rave, and it seems to only show how to change the timing cover with gear already in place. Anyone find a section in Rave that shows how to change it? Or a separate write up? Wondering about torque settings and if there are any tricks that are not straight forward.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

pretty straight forward remove the #3 posiidrive screws and cover, replace the Gen. and rotor gears pack with Vaseline and close it up. of course you will want to clean the bypass while you have the cover off new crank seal and your off

Old 05-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely take the bypass valves out and clean BEFORE you reassemble... I learned that the hard way. As said, the whole thing is very straightforward. Use blue loctite on the oil pump cover screws, back the oil pump cavity with vaseline to aid with priming on startup.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Baja

Seems pretty straight forward. Any tricks to removing bypass valves and cleaning?

Also, can a good quality engine assembly lube be used instead of vaseline?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Video

Check youtube for ''Oil Pump Gear / Timing Chain Cover Rebuild - 2003 Land Rover Discovery''. Just pulled my pan. My pump gone too. Please check back here as you seem a few days ahead of me... Parts, problems etc. Thanks, Randy.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Baja

you want to use the Vaseline because it will gives you instant suction, assembly lube or oil will not do that. they will lube the pump but not create suction instantly. If your dealing with an engine that has already been lubed it is not as much of an issue as something with all new surfaces

Last edited by drowssap; 05-18-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Baja

So, Here is my story. 2003 with some knocking noise and oil light on. Bought it to part out, but...

Go to start it to pull it up to my house, noise disappears, oil light off, running great. I'm thinking perfect, not as bad as I thought. Decide to replace the oil pump gears, Timing chain, and gears.

1st mistake, don't get the oil pump gear lined up correctly on the Crank snout, and start to tighten the pulley. I hear a crack. Open the front cover back up and the oil pump gear plate is cracked and the inner gear on the pump has been pushed out of the assembly.

So, I get a used oil pump gear and plate and decide to throw it back together to see what happens(Original gear was cracked).

Get it back together with now used front cover gasket, don't lubricate the gear with vaseline. Start it up and the knock is back with a vengeance and the oil light is on.

So, Now I need to decide if I do the whole thing again,or give up and part it out.

I watched the video and the 2 mistakes I made was not checking if the bevel side of the gear was facing down and not using vaseline and enough assembly lube on the gear(Besides the broken plate/broken new oil gear mistake).

I was ready to give up yesterday, but now I'm feeling courageous again.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Baja

the bevel is only if your using a LR part the aftermarket does not bevel cut the gear.
but using a new gear and an old gear could give you problems.
I would pull the power to the coil and crank it you should eventually get oil presure

Old 05-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Baja

Im going to try that

Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Baja

Is there an easier way to pull power from the coil than at the coil pack connector?

Quick Reply: OIL pump gear replacement?