Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 02:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pump issues

I bought an 04 disco 2, it had the front drive shaft seize and took a chunk out of the transmission, I replaced the transmission and started it for the first time and the oil light was on and the lifters were rattling, that tells me there is no oil pressure, I took the thing apart and do not see any obvious reasons why there is no oil pressure, nothing looks that bad at all, I would appreciate any input, the driveshaft never hit the engine and the oil level was full and did not seem too thin, the pick tube was still bolted to the timing cover as well and while I did hear lifter noise I do not hear low end noise but I never let it run long enough but to hear the obvious lifter noise

Old 03-07-2018, 03:01 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

You may/may not see light scratches or scoring on the surface the pump gear rides on(pictured).
Basically, it wears down, and as the gap increases, oil pressure goes down, common in these engines.

Attached Thumbnails Oil pump issues-20170812_134240.jpg  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:03 PM
TReK

Pick-up tube o-ring can also be bad and cause low pressure.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Or a clogged pickup tube, clogged oil filter, or a walked cam bearing.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:40 PM
4wd Low
Default Oil pump

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
You may/may not see light scratches or scoring on the surface the pump gear rides on(pictured).
Basically, it wears down, and as the gap increases, oil pressure goes down, common in these engines.
Thank you for your input, the picture you sent is exactly the condition of my cover as well, the tube is clear and I see no bearing wear, i guess it was just coincidence that this happened after the trans replacement ? I wasn't sure to spend the money on this engine but I guess I will now, thanks again

Old 03-07-2018, 04:04 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Timw479
Thank you for your input, the picture you sent is exactly the condition of my cover as well, the tube is clear and I see no bearing wear, i guess it was just coincidence that this happened after the trans replacement ? I wasn't sure to spend the money on this engine but I guess I will now, thanks again
Yes sir, most every Disco had or has this problem.
I'm sure it had low oil pressure before you got it.
Lucky8 has the best price on a new cover, and a new oil pump is already installed.
You will need to remove the pump from the new cover, to pack it with vaseline, so you'll have oil pressure the first time you start it.
I'de replace the pick-up tube o-ring too.
Good luck with it.
And welcome to the money pit world of Land Rovers.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:48 PM
4wd Low
Default Oil pump

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I bought an 04 disco 2, it had the front drive shaft seize and took a chunk out of the transmission, I replaced the transmission and started it for the first time and the oil light was on and the lifters were rattling, that tells me there is no oil pressure, I took the thing apart and do not see any obvious reasons why there is no oil pressure, nothing looks that bad at all, I would appreciate any input, the driveshaft never hit the engine and the oil level was full and did not seem too thin, the pick tube was still bolted to the timing cover as well and while I did hear lifter noise I do not hear low end noise but I never let it run long enough but to hear the obvious lifter noise
so in your opinion the cover in the picture should be replaced? I didn't think it was that bad, but that is exactly why I got on here, to get an idea of what condition is too bad or not, thank you very much for your opinion, I just wasn't sure as to how much scoring is too much

Old 03-07-2018, 04:52 PM
4wd Low
Default Oil pump

so in your opinion the cover in the picture should be replaced? I didn't think it was that bad, but that is exactly why I got on here, to get an idea of what condition is too bad or not, thank you very much for your opinion, I just wasn't sure as to how much scoring is too much
how do I contact lucky 8 for a cover?

Old 03-07-2018, 05:04 PM
4wd Low

how do I contact lucky 8 for a cover?
I figured out the lucky 8 thing, thank you anyway

Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you check the pressure with a tester gauge? A scored cover will still have pressure just not up to the spec. If just the oil pressure light, check the connection or maybe a it’s a faulty sender. It’s not very expensive and easy to change

Quick Reply: Oil pump issues