Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump and Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Oil Pump and Timing Chain

So I've got a new water pump, front cover gasket, oil pump gears, and timing chain, and I'm starting to print out the necessary RAVE pages.

I mostly have 2 questions:
1. I see the section about removing the timing gear cover (12.65.04) which mentions both the timing gear and the oil pump drive gear, however I can't really find anything about replacing the timing chain or the oil pump gears itself.

2. I see a few references to specialty LRT tools for the crankshaft pulley, the timing gear cover oil seal, and the oil pump drive gear. Are these tools available to rent, if they aren't crazy expensive I don't mind buying them, or are there alternative methods to using those tools?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm doing this very job right now. There's a couple of good write ups on the boards here. One is by Alex m(?). No special tools needed. Oil pump gear cover calls for a #3 pozi drive bit, but a #3 Phillips bit will work if you do it carefully.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric

1. I see the section about removing the timing gear cover (12.65.04) which mentions both the timing gear and the oil pump drive gear, however I can't really find anything about replacing the timing chain or the oil pump gears itself.
Pretty self-explanatory, just be sure to disassemble and reassemble in reverse order. Carefully align timing marks on the gears. You want to use Locktite on the Phillips screws for the oil pump gears when reassembling, and most folks pack with Vasoline to help with priming the pump upon starting the engine for the first time.

Originally Posted by robert.juric
2. I see a few references to specialty LRT tools for the crankshaft pulley, the timing gear cover oil seal, and the oil pump drive gear. Are these tools available to rent, if they aren't crazy expensive I don't mind buying them, or are there alternative methods to using those tools?
You don't need specialty tools for any of this. The crank pulley should just slide off after you remove the bolt. Use a standard seal puller on the front cover, just be sure not to scratch the seal bore. The oil pump gears just fall out, especially if they are in pieces.

The following users liked this post:
robert.juric (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Winching

Thanks for the info. Also I didn't see any mention in these steps about removing the alternator or the a/c compressor. Even if its not required would that make it easier to move around?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Winching

Alternator is fine, I did unbolt and move the AC compressor.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Winching

Alex M's write up is called oil pump and timing chain replacement write up. Excellent resource on this job.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 849 Likes on 618 Posts

It's okay to unbolt and move the A/C compressor out of the way but DO NOT disconnect the refrigerant lines from the compressor. There was a genius on here a couple weeks ago who made that mistake.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Winching

I figured I'd keep this thread going for now. So I got the fan clutch removed. I've seen videos of people giving it a whack to loosen and then they pretty much hand removed it. Mine fought me the whole time. Looking at the pulley and fan clutch it appears it may have been crossthreaded when it was installed, or somehow I jacked it up removing it? I guess I can keep moving along with disassembly for the water pump, but what should I do about this fan?

The fan clutch:

The pulley:

Old 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, you'll want to replace that. This one works well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Winching

Hahaha, I kinda figured it would need to be replaced. Glad I can get just the clutch though, thanks for that!

I'm just wondering WTH happened with it to make sure I don't break something in the future.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump and Timing Chain