Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Timing Cover scoring question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 discover trans. question.

Hi,

I just got this vehicle and am new to this site as well. I am trying to find out some info when I bought it they said it need a trans. shift module. It runs fine it just does not shift properly going through the gears. Would it need a module or another part?

Thanks!

Mark b

Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Those bearings do have wear marks. They are still the correct color of the bearing material.

I would put in plastigage to access on a few and see where you are at.

If I had it all apart and had a almost free set of those shells, I would replace them all.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM
4wd Low
Default Update***

Alright pulled all the rod bearings, seems the first two I pulled looked alright but all the top rod bearings were worn down to the copper colored metal.

Here is where I am at now.

Replace all main and rod bearings. Upon installing new bearings it seemed they were extremely tight fit. Almost to tight. I somehow magically was able to get all the top main bearings put in. Inspetion of the #3 main bearing showed the thrust rings worn down to almost nothing. I put it all back together, torqued it, and now the crank wont turn!! Its like the bearings are to thick .

Question:

Should i go take the main caps off, oil the bearings as best as possilbe, re assemble and see if it turns? Or do I have another issue lurking beneath this problem. Or is it possible to order the wrong size bearings? I was under the assumption that odering bearigns for an 03 dicos hse7 from a dealer would all be the same. There was no options for different bearing sizes.

Anyone ever had this issue?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you should pull all the rod caps and see if the crank will spin, if it does you problem is with the rod bearings. If it doesnt spin its a problem with the mains, I would look at the trust bearing first. Does the Rave give you a procedure to so set the preload on the trust bearing most do. BTW, you should be spinning the crank after every bearing to make sure it is moves freely.

Yes; you can order the bearing the wrong size they come stock and oversized. What is mostly sold are oversized, because most people do not replace bearing without machining the crank and resizing rods, this is the only place I have ever seen it suggested.

There must be something about LR lowerends that I dont know, it the only motor I know of that you can just throw stock bearings in after a 100000 miles or so and not have no problems.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-11-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
4wd Low
Default update****

Originally Posted by 00&04 Disco
I am having the same issue as you. I replaced rod bearing, crank bearings, oil sending unit, checked the pressure relief valve...Can not think of where to go next. let me know what you try next. I will update you if I have any luck on this end.

So After exhausting the lower end bearing and timing cover/pump issues i went to the rockers.....both sides severy grooved. Replaced. Stilll NO OIL PRESSURE.....So I got pissed, pulled the motor out, tore it all the way down to the block. Found the problem.....MISSING CAM BEARING!! Third bearing from the front was gone. It looked as if someone forgot to put it in. How do you miss that? I have no idea. Anyways it explains why I had no pressure once the oil got hot....I'm sure it was just pouring out of that port . WIll post pictures when done, just waiting on parts now.