Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Question - Castrol Edge 5w-50

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Question - Castrol Edge 5w-50

I am not trying to start a big debate on oil - but has anyone run Castrol Edge 5w-50 (full synthetic). This oil has high a ZDDP value which is a good thing for our flat tappet engines.

Is anyone else running this? I know everyone loves rotella around here - but my personal preference is to not run a diesel oil. I am just looking for some feedback if anyone has used this and stopped, or uses this and loves it, or had a reason not to use it.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Never used it. I Don't know about running an oil with a warm 50 viscosity, seems pretty heavy and it might not get in all the nooks and crannies very well.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to run a diesel oil? Like you, not trying to start a debate, just genuinely curious.

I also wanted a "better" oil for my engine than the old Rotella Dino oil after my rebuild. Rotella T5, or Royal Purple in either 10w40 or 15w40. Before hand while running Rotella I was getting about 3k miles on an oil change before it was black as pitch and needed to be changed. I opted for the Royal Purple and only now, 9.5k moles after my rebuild, do I need another oil change. It costed me twice as much money, but I got three times the life and I think that's worth it. I will be sending some of the oil off for testing when I change it just to see how much life it had left or if I used it to its fullest extent, but I expect good results.

I will tell you this. Some people claim performance and gas mileage improvements on the Royal Purple. It's all bull sh*t. Oil does not and almost definitely never will change your gas mileage or engine performance. That said, I swear by the RP and will continue to use it.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:03 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The only difference in a "diesel oil" is the high ZDDP content.

It's meant to be self cleaning and hold dirt particles in suspension so they can leave your engine when you change the oil.

Personally I would't use a 5w anything in these engines unless you live in extreme cold climates. But that's just from what I've observed with wearing out a cam using Castrol 5w30 synthetic. (dealer used that oil. not my choice... but how I got started paying attention to the health of my own truck... post extended warranties. )

Not meaning to start a debate of course.

The following users liked this post:
the420star (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback - I looked a while at the RP, it from what I have read is equal in ZDDP and long term performance - so we are down to brand preference, on that one I guess.

The spec sheet for the owners manual says 5w-40 and 50 are both "all temp" weights. Additionally some of the only oils that had high zinc and are not diesel oil are 50. Castrol's test results look great if you read the "hot rod" forums - where most the engines are flat tappet, which is how I found this specific oil. I am sure we can debate whether the rover's engine is high performance or not - to me it is, it requires premium and runs hot.

I am sure this will be debated mercilessly, again not the hope of this thread - but i have read a few articles (don't ask me to find them now) that diesel oils suffers thermal break down earlier than non diesel. Which is why i chose a non-diesel.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave03S
The only difference in a "diesel oil" is the high ZDDP content.

It's meant to be self cleaning and hold dirt particles in suspension so they can leave your engine when you change the oil.

Personally I would't use a 5w anything in these engines unless you live in extreme cold climates. But that's just from what I've observed with wearing out a cam using Castrol 5w30 synthetic. (dealer used that oil. not my choice... but how I got started paying attention to the health of my own truck... post extended warranties. )

Not meaning to start a debate of course.
That is interesting the dealer used that - and adds to my paranoia of ever going to a dealer. That is the low temp weight in the manual and that specific Castrol doesn't have great ZDDP numbers.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Castrol Edge is a great oil. one of the top 2 or 3 currently on the market. That being said make sure to change it somewhere between 5000 and 7000 and use a larger better filter like the Mobil 1-301 or it's counter part, the K&N 3001, both of which are 40% larger then the others.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The dealer put that oil in my truck after they factory replaced the engine in 2008. The engine was replaced due to a loud ticking and being in the VIN range, had 38k at the time it started, still under factory warrantie. SO yes, it did have a broken oil pump at that time which led to the lunching of the cam shaft but 5w15 and low oil pressure don't mix at all.

I suspect they chose that oil because that is what they had 55 gallon barrels of to service brand new LR's and Jags in 2008. No more flat tappet engines by then.

As I mentioned I think 5w is too thin, but give it a try, you'll find out fairly quick, keep us posted.

Last edited by Dave03S; 07-29-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I put the Castrol 20w50 in my Excursion (calls for 5w20) and it stopped a very slight oil leak at the head gasket. But it also ate my oil pump. In my rover and everything else I use Rotella 15w40 and have opened my engines a few times (both diesel and gas) and they look new. I think 5 is too thin unless you are in very cold weather but the detergent value of both the Castrol and Rotella can't be beat.

Rotella turns black in a day in an old diesel engine.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Where does one find ZDDP charts? I used either Pennzoil or Napa (Vavoline) 5w30 dino SJ spec (as requested in the owners manual) for my winter driving as Utah ambient is well below was Rotella 15W40 is specified for.

Even though it's only for 3 months and not many miles, I'd still like to pick the best lightweight oil for winter use.

Also, has anyone had any premature cat-converter failures or clogging by using ZDDP (the reason for oil manufacturers going away from it)..

Old 07-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

You can't really fond ZDDP charts because many (most?) companies don't actually publish their ZDDP levels. For some of these you can search online and see if anyone has sent these oils in for analysis, but if you can't find it then the only way to find out is to buy a quart and pay to have it analyzed.

Quick Reply: Oil Question - Castrol Edge 5w-50