Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil/Unknown fluid leak HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012 | 03:23 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Unhappy Oil/Unknown fluid leak HELP!!

I went out to go somewhere today and my disco had left a few oil spots on the concrete. Hasn't leaked before at all. After sitting for about 14 hours now it has left a few spots, one about 3"x1", the rest about an inch or less. There's also a fluid I can't identify. It's a transparent reddish brown color, and it's leaking too. I crawled under and found that the leak is coming from the front driver's side of the engine, and it seems to go up the side of the block nearly to where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head. I then went above and noticed that my coolant level is down about an inch. Also, I haven't switched to normal coolant yet, so the coolant I have is dexcool. Are my head gaskets toast? or do I have some other problem? Please help!

Old 11-14-2012 | 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds like a HG leak.

I would perform a pressure test to get things started. 15-20PSI should show an external gasket leak if there is one.

Old 11-14-2012 | 03:47 PM
|
Rock Crawling

This may sound sort of ignorant but pressure test how?

Old 11-14-2012 | 03:55 PM
Pro Wrench

With a coolant pressure tester. It's kind of like a heavy-duty bicycle or sports pump with a better gauge on it. You can get one from most parts stores as a loaner tool. You screw it onto the reservoir in place of the cap and pressurize the system with the pump, then see if the pressure drops. The pressure will also push out the coolant at any leaks.

Old 11-14-2012 | 03:57 PM
Rock Crawling

It sounds like a coolant leak, as it trickled down your engine it picked up oil making it that brownish color. Rent a pressure tester from the parts store (or buy one) and follow the directions.

Old 11-14-2012 | 03:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
This may sound sort of ignorant but pressure test how?
Go down to the boys at Autozone or Advance (probably o'reilly too...never used them before) and get a Coolant Pressure Tester. Its just a pump with a bunch of different adapters to fit the coolant reservoir hole.

Instructions will be in the box. Just find the right size and pump it up. From my experience it was nearly impossible to get that plug to fit perfectly without wanting to slide out as the pressure increased. It would be helpful to have someone else hold it down and operate the pump while you look for leaks....mine popped off and nearly gave me a black eye...noob...tell me about it...

The pump increases the pressure in the system forcing coolant out of whatever hole (if any) is present. If you lose coolant during the test but none is visible externally (dripping on the ground) the leak is into the engine.

Autozone
Heating and Cooling | Loan-A-ToolŽ Program | In Our Stores | AutoZone.com

Old 11-14-2012 | 04:13 PM
Winching

yes by all means do a pressure test... BUT make sure the engine is cold. DO NOT attempt to do a pressure test with the engine hot.

Old 11-14-2012 | 04:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jeffh
yes by all means do a pressure test... BUT make sure the engine is cold. DO NOT attempt to do a pressure test with the engine hot.
Good point. The engine will already be pressurized and may go poof in your face

Old 11-14-2012 | 04:41 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Thanks so much for all the quick responses I greatly appreciate it!

Okay I'll do that. As it stands right now though, this is what I think it is. I think the front main seal is leaking, and I think the head gasket on the drivers side has an external leak. But, it's a small leak. Over the course of sitting for 12 hours, there is a spot that's only an inch across. Being an external leak, as long as I keep an eye on it, it shouldn't be a death sentence, right?
So I'll keep an eye on it as I gather up the parts.
Unless this is a bad idea?
Also, do I need to have the heads machined if I replace the gaskets? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'd just like to know where I stand.

Old 11-14-2012 | 05:04 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Also, what all do I need to get to replace the head gaskets and the front seal?

Quick Reply: Oil/Unknown fluid leak HELP!!