Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok...what next (rough idle)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Ok...what next (rough idle)

ORIGINAL: byebyeH2

Alright. So I made an appointment with a local guy (The SportsCar Shop) here in Eugene, Oregon. He specializes in Rovers, and a variety of British imports. Considering his shop rate is up there, I want to try and have this narrowed down as much as possible. I know there is no way to count out the plugs and wires, but the others I can. Since the throttle body has been cleaned, premium gas run through, Sea Foam done, and the cat has been checked. Can someone attach a picture of the IAC/Stepper motor? I will attempt to clean mine out before I drop off the vehicle on Thursday. I can do most do it urself type jobs, but am no mechanic. Attaching a pic will ensure that I am unhooking the right part...

Don't laugh....you all had to start at one time.

Thanks for the posts, I have my fingers crossed that it is only the plugs/wires...yes only the plugs/wires...

again...thanks
Consider rechecking both side of the t/plate in the t/body and clean again.
Send me your tele number and I'll be glad to walk you thru cleaning the idle solenoid.
If you are at all mechanical, I would suggest you replace the plugs and wires yourself if they are original. Use only Champion or Bosch Platium Plus 4 plugs and 8 mm Magnacore wires.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive only had my 97 D1 since May of this year so I havent gone thru a winter with it yet. I live in Eastern Ohio and last week we had our first bout of 30 degree nights.This past weekend the idle wouldnt come back down to 750 rpms after I started truck stayed up near 1700. I got on here and started researching . Easiest fix was to clean everything up so thats where I started..While cleaning it up I found that someone had wrapped electrical tape around vacum line tobuid the diameterso that the hose would fit snug apparently the cold weather gotto itThe vacuum hose was looseI removedthe tapeand put a hose clamp on and voila..Its been working fine ..I wonder if anybodyhas a winter checklist they could post ?? Thanks' Buzz'

Old 10-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

redhot, because I HATE crawsling under a car that has the underside covered in snow and ice and drips dirty water on your face I always check all the fluids every six months.
I check the coolant everytime I check the oil, but the trans, t-case, and diffs I check every 6 months. Also check your air filter, tire PSI INCLUDING the spare, lube your door locks and hinges, pop the emblem off the cargo door and lube that latch and handle too. Also lube the hood release cable and latch. Condition the leather.
Basically if you stay on top of this stuff it will reduce your chances of haveing trouble on the road no matter the time of year.
But every 6 months is easy to remember, you can just mark it on the calender and make a Saturday out of it.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 PM
6th Gear

Update: My disco has been taken off line, at least through the weekend. A more experienced buddy of mine came over and we started pulling the plugs....Low and behold, one plug was shot (cracked porcelain). So hopefully replacing the plugs and wires (of course with the magnecors and bosch like so many have suggested) will fix the stumble. Makes sense that it should. Additionally, I removed the stepper motor and cleaned that out....thanks for the pics and instructions.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: byebyeH2

Update: My disco has been taken off line, at least through the weekend. A more experienced buddy of mine came over and we started pulling the plugs....Low and behold, one plug was shot (cracked porcelain). So hopefully replacing the plugs and wires (of course with the magnecors and bosch like so many have suggested) will fix the stumble. Makes sense that it should. Additionally, I removed the stepper motor and cleaned that out....thanks for the pics and instructions.
Good to hear. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Pete