Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble

My rig is stock and dealer serviced, I go twice a year and have the oil serviced even though I average only 7K a year. Had my annual before Christmas blowout at the dealer, rear brake job (the first ever) and oil/fluid service. Engine cold/at the dealer no issue whatsoever, at home in driveway however I started hearing a diesel/TD5 knock/tick. Dealer has no clue over the phone, drove it back the next full working day(today). Duplicated for the service advisor which was easy because the LR dealer is 20-25 miles away engine was nice and warm.

No word from the dealer until two hours from close, no issues, the car is making the normal sounds. WRONG ANSWER. Picked it up, sounded like a charm. Got the temp up to midway on the gauge where it sits 24/7 and took it right back to the service bay-- the tick was back.

The techs looked at me with straight faces and tried to convince me first there was no noise and then conceded with the bonnet up I have a rocker arm or lifter issue. My only issue is they wont put it in writing, and they don't want to fix the problem. The car is under Carmax Maxcare warranty for another 50K or four years (just like the manufacturer warranty the years will be the issue not the miles) and these engine parts are covered.

I have been going out of my way to document this vehicle and intended to pass it to my daughter, etc. Why so much resistance from the dealer? I never made any direct accusation, yet they continue to make every attempt to distance themselves from the tick which was non-existant before the service.

But the real question: what causes this to happen to these vehicles. Especially one which has been cared for extensively.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vrblknch
But the real question: what causes this to happen to these vehicles. Especially one which has been cared for extensively.
the 4.6 is a giant turd. Maybe install an oil gauge and see what the pressure is at hot idle, if it is fine then you probably just have a loose cup on a rocker arm.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Drifting

I asked for the oil pressure test at the dealer... they promptly refused. Stated no indicators were on. I just wanted a proper diagnosis.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So all they did to the engine was change the oil and filter? One thing that comes to mind: When I had my truck in a local shop that works on disco's, they were replacing an oil pump in another truck apparently because it had lost it's prime when the oil was changed. They said not to let the oil drain forever when changing it or this will happen. I guess that is also why the manual specifically says to drain and refill the engine oil and then to replace the filter when the fresh oil is in the engine. That's the only thing I can think could go wrong just changing the oil (other than the obvious like forgetting to replace the drain plug, add new oil, etc) but I don't know how often the dry oil pump thing happens and most people probably drain the oil and filter at the same time. I assume they used the same type of oil and filter they usually do? This is one example of why I always do my own work, at least you'll know exactly what was done to the vehicle and maybe should not have been done to it.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Drifting

I have no clue what they didnt do. I know I checked the oil hot and cold and the dipstick was bone dry.

We are talking about service techs who wrote the car up in KILOMETERS instead of miles. Told me my next service was in 6 months or 81K miles. My daughter was doing a project and we were living on the metric system for two weeks, I forgot to switch it back to miles before I dropped it off. If they cant figure that out...

@ least its all getting fixed for $50 plus the difference in aftermarket and genuine parts. No more referrals from me.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your BIGGEST mistake was taking it to a dealer who knows little or nothing about your D2 and wants to sell you everything you don't want or need.
I would highly suggest you find a small Rover shop that can properly trouble shoot your engine and then sell the job to your warranty company.
If you need any help, send me your number, I'll be glad to walk you thru what to do.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Your BIGGEST mistake was taking it to a dealer who knows little or nothing about your D2 and wants to sell you everything you don't want or need.
I would highly suggest you find a small Rover shop that can properly trouble shoot your engine and then sell the job to your warranty company.
If you need any help, send me your number, I'll be glad to walk you thru what to do.

Sending that PM. Oh and BTW, Tom Williams Land Rover Birmingham has serviced the vehicle since 18,819 miles. My old service advisor left for greener pastures and this is the aftermath.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no clue what they didnt do. I know I checked the oil hot and cold and the dipstick was bone dry.

@ least its all getting fixed for $50 plus the difference in aftermarket and genuine parts. No more referrals from me.
So, they didn't put enough oil in it. If any? That could have something to do with the tick. I'd wait until they fix it first before you think you're getting a deal.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I asked for the oil pressure test at the dealer... they promptly refused. Stated no indicators were on. I just wanted a proper diagnosis.
That's unbelievable, amazingly incredibly unbelievable. There would be war happening in that service department if that happened to me.

Tell them you want to actually SEE the idle oil pressure at cold and hot. Do NOT trust their word. Oil pressure should be 30-50 psi at cold idle and 20-30 psi at hot idle. I know the 03's (not the 04's) were the culprits for oil pump problems, but I'd take no chances here.

And friendly tip, do the oil changes yourself. Cheaper, better quality work, control of the outcome and, the best part, no goons. And yes DiscoMike is right on. Small passionate Land Rover indy shop will do you a heck of a better job I'm sure of it.

Last edited by ShortTom; 12-29-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so you took it in for an oil change and left, it developed a tick on the way home, you checked the oil when you got home and the dip stick was dry? who added oil, did you when you realized it was dry? My guess is they screwed up an oil change, and don't want to admit it. I would make them fix it, all of it, a new motor if they had to.

Quick Reply: OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble