Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG! the transmission AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OMG! the transmission AGAIN!

Hi guys, I need some input. I have a 01 disco with 75000 miles on it. I bought it with 42k on it and at about 51k the tranny chewed up some bands and clutches... So, two thousand dollars later I am back on the road, a minor hickup here and there but nothing major, mainly just very rough shifting. Anyway, this morning I am on my way to work and am crusing down the road at 75 to 80 when I feel a lurch and see the RPM's spike a bit (at most 500) so I know this old show and get off the highway onto the surface streets. Now, when ever I take off from a light or something (from a complete stop) it revs up to about 1500 to 2000 before I get anything, then once it starts moving it just takes off... I just got back from a highly recomended tranny shop and they said they couldnt find anything (didnt do much, just dove it and pulled the codes) I went along on the test drive and sure enough it was fine... Curese of the tech I guess. Anyway, once I get off the interstate comming back it starts doing it again. The codes that were in the system are mainly engine codes, 8 in total, some MAF codes, O2 sensor codes I believe a CAM shaft code and one transmission code, something about a communication error (didnt write them down, DOH!) I had to have the MAF replaced about 6 months ago and replaced the O2 sensorsabout 2 weeks ago so thoes I can believe...Anyway, does anyone have any ideas??

Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: OMG! the transmission AGAIN!

Check the fluid level first.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

Sounds like it acts up when it gets hot. Have you tried, oh, I dont know, slowing down on the expressway? You dont have to drive 80mph.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on that, check your fluid and slow down a little. It is getting hot and the fluid is expanding.

Next time write down your codes and post them. Doesn't do any good just clearing them....

Old 07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Well yes, slowing down is all fine and good until you have a emergency at work and are trying to make it in before the CTO of your company starts calling to find out what is going on... Anyway that is neither here nor there. I grabbed some Dextron 3 on the way home and I noticed that the tranny shop didnt clear the codes so I had the guys at autozone pull them and here they are...

P0445
P0448
P0102
P0340
P0141
P0161
P1884
P0135
P0155
P0134(or 9 cant read my writing on that one
P0154

Old 07-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

those last 3 are new from this morning. Now, I am not sure it has anything to do with it being hot. The old girl had been sitting since about 11:00 and I left at 6:00, so 7 hours, and it did it as soon as I started out... When I got home I did notice a little drip coming out from under the car, will pull it out in the AM and see if I can find out where its coming from and also check the fluid level and see if I am low.

Now, on those codes, Most are O2 and MAF sensors, I had to have the MAF replaced a few months ago, and did the O2 sensors like 2 weeks ago, so what could be the deal with that??

Sorry for the dual posts, the board seems to be having issues...

Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Team Owner

You dont need a new MAF or O2's, you need a good tune up. Check the fluid level and go from there.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Team Owner

Whats a CTO? Cant Tell Off? Lifes short, slow down. Dont sweat the small stuff, or the big stuff for that matter. Life happens, the debt has been paid and everything is going to be OK.
You can tell your boss that I said that too. Unless somebody is dying, no need to go fast.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling

HAH, I wish it meant cant tell off Chief Technology Officer. Yes life is to short, until you have no life... All I do is work so work kinda takes high priority for me... But anyway, I will check the fluid in the AM and see what the deal is. Correct me if I am wrong, I need to start her up, let her run for a few minutes maybe pop it into drive and reverse a few times to make sure things are moving well, and then take the till plug off and see if the fluid level is right close to the whole right? Also, I had a tune up done at about 45k plugs, wires, and so on... Am at 75k now, is it time to do that again?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

See I have one of those no stress jobs, my biggest problem is when a contractor yells at me, so then I make his job more difficult and he shuts up.
Yes, that is the proper way to check the trans fluid.
And yes, you need a tune up, every 30,000 miles is a good mileage interval to keep things from going south.

Quick Reply: OMG! the transmission AGAIN!