Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one fog light out

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 02:44 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one fog light out

Is it possible to replace these ourselves? Manual says take her in, but that can't be true as it is only a darned light. I have not crawled under to look yet. Any brand or bulb to buy that fits? Thanks. The passenger one is out - will verify power to it next day off, but did look long enough to see wires going into it but not long enough to work out how to take it off.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: one fog light out

I think you can just replace the bulb itself in those, I took my air dam off long ago so havent looked in a long time, I do know it is easy to fix and you don't have to take it in to the dealer.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

what year?

Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was assuming a D1 cause the fact that my owners manual tell you not to try to work on the light either, yet it tells you all kinds of things about off roading you can do, that i think if your reading the owners manual for offraoding know how, you prolly shoulden't be doing it, not to the extent that they show you anyway.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I changed the bulbs on my Disco 1 a while back. I got the bulbs from the dealer. Disassemble the thing properly to get the bulb out. I tried taking a shortcut on the first one and it didn't pay off. Also check for water in the fog lights. I resealed mine and drilled a small hole in the bottom for drainage. They were previously collecting water. Definitely a job you can do yourself. The bulbs were around USD $15 each.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Drifting

sorry a 97 d1. I briefly looked and it looked like it is all one unit ( rectangular like old style headlights that had to be replaced glass and all) not a bulb type, but I will check again.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Drifting

Ok, climbed under and looked at the fog light. It looks like there are two star scres on the sides. Do I just loosen them and swivel the black plastic backing panel up to access the bulb? There is a big screw on the top, but it looked like that is for adjustment of the angle of the light beam. If someone could walk me through it to save some time it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Drifting

I had time, so I took off fog light ( only two star screws) and ordered the new bulb from stealership. This was so easy that I laugh that I even asked this post lol thanks anyway.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Overlanding

These bulbs can be purchased at most auto parts stores, and for alot less than at the dealer.

I will be surprised if you manage to get the screws back in and lined up with the assembly in the air dam. I took the entire assembly out as a whole and it made the job alot easier. There are only a few nuts that need removed to get the entire assembly out.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Drifting

Was a piece of cake to put back in - I put it back so I could drive it, just left out bulb till new one arrives. Aligning it all was not hard at all, just had to use a small star tip ( one that goes into a screw driver head) and a small ratchet designed to fit the variouse tips so that I have. The bulb has a small metal housing and a wire leading from it . It looked like you cannot take the bulb out as the metal and wire are part of the unit and you have to take the bulb/metal/wire out. Not sure if your fog light was a different design or what, but had no problem putting it back into air dam as I did not change any alignment of lens - just popped her in with the black plastic spacers and screwed back the two star screws. Alignment does not change unless you mess with metal frame or the adjuster scrrew on top of lens. I am going to look at the bulb/wire housing again to see if the bulb can come out of metal housing.

Quick Reply: one fog light out