Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one to get, D1 or D2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to get, D1 or D2?

I'm thinking about getting a disco for my work/offroad truck. I currently drive 97 cherokee with 4.5 lift. It's has been good to me so far. it does pretty good job on trail as well. I've been reading this forum for awhile regarding on maitenances and problems and such.

my question is should I get a d1 or d2? I like the looks of d2 better but there are really minimal difference. what is the difference inbetween the 2? most likely I will be lifting the truck 2-3" down the road. is there cost difference in two?

TIA

Old 01-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Which one to get, D1 or D2?

about the same to lift either one. There are different engine management systems. The D2 is a few inches longer and you can put wider tires on it. The early D2's have a locking transfer case, but you have to get the linkage or a solenoid to work it. All D1's have it. D2's have Hill descent and traction control, which can be a problem sometimes. Search the three amigos for more info.

Me personally, If not an 04, then I would get a 99 to early 01 D2 with the lockable T case.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Mudding

....because stupid Land Rover took the CDL away in mid '01 and gave it back for '04! [:'(]

Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disco I if you can work on it youself.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

D2 because it has more features, some of which are helpful off road. BUT go for an early 00' or late 99'. My opinion is that the 00' is the best bet if you cant get an 04' which is MUCH more expensive.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Landzu

Disco I if you can work on it youself.
why would you say that? I can work on the car/truck. I'm a part time tech at the performance/fabricationshop.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disco II's have ECM's for almost everything and you need
Land Rover software to interface to find out what it needs.

On the Disco I's they are much less complicated,,,the
Disco II muchof itwas a designed by BMW and they are
known for making things harder to work with out OEM stuff.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Camel Trophy

i would have to agree. Manyof the common problems with the ABS system can be cured by clearing codes and you have to have a Rover scanner to clear them. Even small shops charge $55 for hooking it up.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Just to set the record straight, D1's have one less ECU, the tCU is not used on the the mechanical tranny used on all D1's, other then that they have the exact number of ECU's.
The Bosch operating system has proven itself to be a much better engine management over the old dreaded Lucas system.
Yes, God for bid, D2's ride better, with or without lifts, on or off the road. They have more comfort features and put more workable torque to the ground.
Oh yes, the down side, they are slightly longer so your departure angle is not as good as a D1, not that they were anything to write home about.

By the way, I own a 99 D2 and have no desire to part with it.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Just to set the record straight, D1's have one less ECU, the tCU is not used on the the mechanical tranny used on all D1's, other then that they have the exact number of ECU's.
The Bosch operating system has proven itself to be a much better engine management over the old dreaded Lucas system.
Yes, God for bid, D2's ride better, with or without lifts, on or off the road. They have more comfort features and put more workable torque to the ground.
Oh yes, the down side, they are slightly longer so your departure angle is not as good as a D1, not that they were anything to write home about.

By the way, I own a 99 D2 and have no desire to part with it.
That's why I said to get an 04, or a 99 to early 01. I am going to get a D2 next, but just wanted the buyer to know that the D2 doesn't necessarily have more ECU's, but that the 3 amigo's are a common recurrence and the common fix is to have the codes cleared. Just one point. I would still recommend the D2.

Besides, everyone knows that Landzu wouldn't part with his D1 for anything. I do agree with him on the ease of working on one, but I would rather have the features and ride.

Quick Reply: Which one to get, D1 or D2?