Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Two Days After Purchasing and I'm TICKED OFF

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One Two Days After Purchasing and I'm TICKED OFF

Bought my son his dream car an 03 Discovery II and thought I got a great deal. When I first saw it the dealer had their mechanic working on it. The front of the engine was apart at the roadside dealer and the mechanic was replacing the timing chain and oil pump to fix a very loud knocking sound. When I went back it purred like a kitten. Took it to a Land Rover mechanic and he gave it a clean bill of health so I purchased. Two days later the tapping sound started. Mechanic says it's common and its the first stage of the lifters going out. Says their is no rush to repair it but if it were him he would do all four lifters , valve job machine the head and replace head gasket. Price around $2,500. I am new to Rovers but have read at least 50 post on tapping noise. He said it does not sound like the cylinder sleeve slip. I have used Gunk engine flush changed oil with Rotella 15w40 and added Marvel Mystery & Sea Foam. It comes and goes but is still definitely there. My newbie questions are as follows:

1) Should I try anything else before committing to major dollars
2) If I do this how should I scope it in terms of telling him what I want done. I am looking for things like .... replace the cam, all new lifters, etc...
3) What is a reasonable price?

Sorry for another posts on tapping noises.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Winching

You bought it from a dealer? Go back and tell them to fix it. Sounds to me like you bought a rover that was oil starved for to long..... I'm sorry to hear this. On a bright note you can find replacement engines (complete) for $500-1k on here. Contact rover bones and see if they have a 4.6 for you. 505-263-2136 They offer really good prices. I bought a 3.9 from them for my DI and so far so good!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i'm am currenty tring to solve this same problem. My engine tick definatey sounds like a bad lifter. i have replaced all valve train parts (rockers, shaft, push rods and new lifters) still has tick.. so i bought a oil pressure test guage from harbor freight.. cost about $26 dollars.. my test came back low for a warm engine 13 psi at idle and 35psi at 2000 rpm. should be more around 20psi and 50psi... i am using 20w-50 motor oil..

If your oil pressure is low, not enought oil will be pumped up to keep the lifters filled... or it could have a worn out camshaft or both.. British atlantic has new main and connectiing rod bearing for about $140, new cam bearings for$250 and a new camshaft for $250. If you search around the internet you can find them cheaper..

I would start with a oil pressure test at a shop that you trust.. my next purchase is going to be all new bearings and two long weekends to fix it..

Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Since you bought an 03, is it in 'the range' ?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
You bought it from a dealer? Go back and tell them to fix it. Sounds to me like you bought a rover that was oil starved for to long..... I'm sorry to hear this. On a bright note you can find replacement engines (complete) for $500-1k on here. Contact rover bones and see if they have a 4.6 for you. 505-263-2136 They offer really good prices. I bought a 3.9 from them for my DI and so far so good!
I agree, if the work was done by a Rover dealer, you should have a 1 year warranty on that repair.
As for the other statement, you can not go buy a used 4.6 for $500, most complete 4.6 long blocks with a warranty will run in the $2200 to $3500 range.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4x4trouble
hi i'm am currenty tring to solve this same problem. My engine tick definatey sounds like a bad lifter. i have replaced all valve train parts (rockers, shaft, push rods and new lifters) still has tick.. so i bought a oil pressure test guage from harbor freight.. cost about $26 dollars.. my test came back low for a warm engine 13 psi at idle and 35psi at 2000 rpm. should be more around 20psi and 50psi... i am using 20w-50 motor oil..

If your oil pressure is low, not enought oil will be pumped up to keep the lifters filled... or it could have a worn out camshaft or both.. British atlantic has new main and connectiing rod bearing for about $140, new cam bearings for$250 and a new camshaft for $250. If you search around the internet you can find them cheaper..

I would start with a oil pressure test at a shop that you trust.. my next purchase is going to be all new bearings and two long weekends to fix it..
Your warm, idle temp of 13 pounds is pretty good, the 2000 RPM range is a little low and some more testing should be done.
If you want some help with this, PM me your number and I'll be glad to help you.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Sorry, it was late when I posted the original thread. When I said dealer, I meant roadside non Rover dealer. Essentially a used car lot with mechanic shop on hand. The car is super clean and everything else works. Only paid $7k so I dont mind investing a little money in it. Unfortunately, I have never been inside an engine. I can change brakes pads, etc... but I would be intimidated to do much more. I envy you mechanic types as the older Rovers really need one as an owner. Please let me know if you were what else other than oil pressure to check. If nothing then what would you have the mechanic do (help me scope out the job).

Thanks, this is a great forum and a must for non mechanic types like myself.

Sam

Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can change brake pads that's a good start.

Actually these trucks are very easy to work on. The engine compartment is huge and it's a REALLY simply engine (push rod v8 like your grandpa's '60's Buick). The achilles heel is the cooling system. Try not to overheat the engine and the trucks will run for a long time with the proper maintenance.

Download the Rave manual (it's the workshop manual). It's very easy to read and follow for most problems.

Heck man you and your son get in there and work on it together. Do not be afraid. It's just a farm truck - "a pig in a prom dress".

In the end once you get it mechanically sound, the only issues that are going to nag you are electrical (switches/lamps going bad from old age). That's what drives me the most crazy....lol

Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I would suggest, if you want some help with this that you send me your number, I can help walk you thru what to do. Also look at my major service list at the top of this section.

Quick Reply: One Two Days After Purchasing and I'm TICKED OFF