Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only R and 1 work, but not 2-3-D

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 09:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved (needed new transmission): Only R and 1 work, but not 2-3-D

I’ve read the threads, many people have had only R work but I couldn’t find a thread with my symptoms so I’m posting here.

Background: 2003 SE7 V8 with 175k miles. My water pump failed and the radiator fan was shooting coolant everywhere. I got a tow 220 miles home with the only tow truck that would take the job. The rear 2 wheels were on the tow truck and front 2 on the ground. Obviously not smart. But Both the automatic gear shifter and the 4x4 shifter were in neutral for

On my way to my mechanic to get my water pump replaced I realized I could only move if I was in 1 or R and nothing else. I can’t shift manually while driving in 1 to 2 or 3 or D like others have mentioned in other threads.

Transmission fluid is black. Is this a sign of needing a new transmission? Anything else to check first?

Last edited by MAduckhunter; 02-14-2024 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 02-07-2024, 07:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Seems too coincidental not to be related, but with the center diff in neutral the trans should not have been seeing any rotation. XYZ switch would be the only other thing that comes to mind. Do the console LEDs and the cluster report gear position correctly when you move the selector?

Old 02-07-2024, 08:02 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ahab
Seems too coincidental not to be related, but with the center diff in neutral the trans should not have been seeing any rotation. XYZ switch would be the only other thing that comes to mind. Do the console LEDs and the cluster report gear position correctly when you move the selector?
I appreciate the response. When I tried to move the 4x4 gear selection shifter it seemed stiffer and possibly out of position compared to normal. The light did show up on the dash, but if I remember correctly it only appeared as out of gear (neutral) when it was in the 4L position (normally that should be the case in the N position). The truck is at the transmission shop now so I can't check exactly. If what I type is correct, would it still be the XYZ switch, or likely something else?

I am trying to knock the cheaper items off the list before investing in a transmission replacement.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:21 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MAduckhunter

Transmission fluid is black. Is this a sign of needing a new transmission? Anything else to check first?
Fluid should not be black. Combined with your recent tow experience I would bet you have some clutch packs that are completed gone now. That tow company, IMHO, should have known to put the front wheels on dollies.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

If it was in 4L and not neutral then the chances are better than not that the trans was damaged. I was actually asking about the PRNDL321 lights in the cluster and on the console. If those are acting weird then the XYZ switch could be suspect. Nothing to do with the transfer case selector. However, as pointed out trans fluid should not be black. I happen to have a known good 03 trans if it gets to that....

Old 02-07-2024, 07:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Black fluid is very bad sign. Does it smell burnt? The problem with towing in gear (I realize it was supposed to be in neutral) is that it spins all the internals except the pump which provides all the lubrication. No lube, lots of spinning, bad news inside. D2 trans are very reliable generally. I would recommend a complete used but good trans out of a rusty frame truck. Should be less than $1000 from a breaker.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:28 PM
Overlanding

Thanks all for your help. I spoke with the mechanic and he checked the xyz and the oil from the transmission is “cooked”. All signs point to ruined transmission. The tow guy feels awful about it but assured me it said neutral on the dash and in both shifters. A mystery how that could happen.

BUT, Because of this amazing forum and the good folks on it, I am acquiring new to me transmission and it will be going in this weekend/early next week. I will let you all know the result.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

( The tow guy feels awful about it but assured me it said neutral on the dash and in both shifters. A mystery how that could happen.)

Does this mean you didn’t put T-case in natural yourself & make sure, & tow guy did it , is that why he assures you it was natural !

Old 02-14-2024, 02:52 PM
Overlanding
Default Solved

It needed a new transmission but runs great now. Expensive lesson learned: even if it’s in neutral don’t have it towed unless it’s fully off the ground.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:00 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Oh too bad. I’m glad you have it going again though.

Quick Reply: Only R and 1 work, but not 2-3-D