Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

only starts after second attempt

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default only starts after second attempt

i have a 04 Disco and the issue is if the car sits for longer than a few hours it will not start on the first try. The starter will just turn the motor but will not light it off. BUT i can imediatley try again and it will start right away. I just replaced the battery so i have no codes to go off. Any help would be great.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Your best bet is to drive it until it does throw a code, then you will have a better idea what may be wrong.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Next time you go to start it after it's been sitting for a few hours like you say, hold it at the second key position before engaging the starter. Listen for the audible fuel pump and let it run until it primes the lines then shuts off on its own. Then try to start it. It 'should' start then. You might have some leaky fuel injectors or a leak somewhere else in the system which causes the pressure to have to build up on your first start attempt, and starting on the second attempt. You might want to run something like sea foam for a couple of tank fulls of gas.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

After you get it started and drive somewhere, then turn it off, does it start right up?

Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah Charlie_V it starts right up with no issues. its just the initial start.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy

That's a fuel pressure leak somewhere. Does the truck smell like gas after it sits? I've had this problem. Once, a fuel injector o ring had split. That mmakes the gas smell in the engine area. Another time, my fuel pump (which is under your cargo area) had a very tiny leak. Of course it could be a hose issue I just haven't had that problem before.

What was suggested above was to turn the key to position two, which starts the fuel pump and builds pressure that has been (but shouldn't be without a leak) lost while the truck is off.

Sorry June, I just actually read your post above and I am repeating what you just said.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-09-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It does sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Maybe a pressure test on the fuel delivery line could show up the fault. Could be the fuel pump, filter, pressure regulator (if it has one) or the injectors. Obviously it is losing delivery pressure somewhere between the in tank pump and the injectors or even bypassing directly into the return line somehow.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have not studied the Land Rover fuel pump, as I have never (thankfully) had to change mine. But a GM fuel pump has a check valve in the pump to keep fuel from running back into the tank. A pump can push fluid much farther than it can draw it, so it makes sense that any and every fuel pump would have such a check valve.

As suggested above, move the key to position 2. I would do it several times without cranking, before attempting a start. I bet it will fire right up.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Camel Trophy

^x2.

If that works, start sniffing for a gas smell.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by NickAdams
I have not studied the Land Rover fuel pump, as I have never (thankfully) had to change mine. But a GM fuel pump has a check valve in the pump to keep fuel from running back into the tank. A pump can push fluid much farther than it can draw it, so it makes sense that any and every fuel pump would have such a check valve.

As suggested above, move the key to position 2. I would do it several times without cranking, before attempting a start. I bet it will fire right up.
1 makes a lot of sense about the check valve. Maybe stuck or some small crap lodged in it.

Quick Reply: only starts after second attempt