Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion: high-ish coolant temp in hot weather/ on the interstate

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 11:24 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by arains44
Gotcha. Good to know. It’s under 200 95% of the time for sure. I can only get it to 200 on a long uphill on the interstate, and climbing the hill to my house (low speed neighborhood road, super steep long hill). But it usually won’t sit around 200. It’ll get up to 203 at the most and float back down to 194 pretty quickly.
Originally Posted by dtmbinb
My 04 with a Turner engine runs the same way. Almost the exact temps and scenarios you mentioned. The whole cooling system was replaced 25k miles ago with the motor install. Extinct 180 inline kit and HD fan clutch. I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as you are under 200 90-95% of the time you are golden.

Pretty much the same here. Standard fan clutch in mine.

I have 03 with a Turner, 50K miles on the engine, and Extincts 180 kit.

We are the Seattle WA area and mostly my D2 runs at 183' F.

When in 90+ heat it's more like 188' F
With a bit of weight in it and the AC on, more like 194' F and climbs up a bit over 200' F on moderate hills.

Mine is lifted, taller tires, ARB bumper, full roof rack plus a big cargo box on there.

Few summers ago we had four people, a big dog, two cargo bags on the roof, bikes on a rack out back, lots of weight and in 100+ F temps. On one long and step hill I needed to stay in 3rd roll the windows down and run the heat to keep temps in check. I was also doing 65 mph and this is one of those hills that has a turn your AC off sign at the bottom to help avoid over heating.

Last edited by Sean Maginness; 06-25-2022 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
arains44 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Maginness
Pretty much the same here. Standard fan clutch in mine.

I have 03 with a Turner, 50K miles on the engine, and Extincts 180 kit.

We are the Seattle WA area and mostly my D2 runs at 183' F.

When in 90+ heat it's more like 188' F
With a bit of weight in it and the AC on, more like 194' F and climbs up a bit over 200' F on moderate hills.

Mine is lifted, taller tires, ARB bumper, full roof rack plus a big cargo box on there.

Few summers ago we had four people, a big dog, two cargo bags on the roof, bikes on a rack out back, lots of weight and in 100+ F temps. On one long and step hill I needed to stay in 3rd roll the windows down and run the heat to keep temps in check. I was also doing 65 mph and this is one of those hills that has a turn your AC off sign at the bottom to help avoid over heating.
I’ve never seen a hill with a “turn your AC off sign” that’s wild. I guess there was a pattern of cats with steam pouring out from under the hood stranded near the top of the hill… haha

Your temps are identical to mine. I’m sure I run a little hotter due to a hotter more humid climate. Although I was in Portland last August during the heat wave and I’ve never felt heat like that before…

It’s kind of odd that there’s a pattern with the top hat motors of running a little @Extinct has mostly sub190 temps all the time in his 4.0 trucks.

Good to hear others have the same experience. My truck runs like a top, so it’s good to confirm it is operating properly. I’ve beat the crap out of it over the last 6 months putting tons of mileage on it. Trying to less miles now that fuel prices are so crazy…

Old 06-26-2022, 08:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Your temps are the same as mine but I had to upgrade to the Flowkooler water pump, hayden 2991 and the Dorman 620-112 fan before I noticed improvement !

The following 2 users liked this post by 04disco2va:
andino (06-27-2022), arains44 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling

@04disco2va my fan clutch is definitley on it’s way out. I ordered a Hayden + Dorman combo. I avoid the severe duty option though and opted for the heavy duty.

I’m sure that will help temps around town marginally.

Might try running some water wetter and see if it makes a noticeable difference. Just out of curiosity. It really helps the most running straight distilled water, but it’s still good for your coolant passages and whatnot.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't have a AB motor but my 4.6 is setup with a brand new Nissen rad, Extinct 180 inline, Hayden HD clutch, and Dorman fan. I'm also running 33" MTs, arb with lights and winch, and a RTT. Around town and basically below 55mph, my truck has no problem holding 177-183F in weather less than 80F. On the highway, i run about 188F pretty consistently until around 80F ambient and then it creeps up from there. I'm planning to add the Flowkooler WP when I get notification that the Allisport radiator is ready for shipment so I can do that all at once. I'm out on the west coast so most weather here is just dry heat and I'm hoping to really combat the running temps because i was seeing pretty wild temps when I was driving up 7-8% grades in 100F weather on a climbing trip in Bishop. Hoping that a regear will take some load off the engine as well which should hopefully help temps.

Old 06-28-2022, 05:50 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

@andino If it helps 8 to 9% grade accelerating uphill to get to 65 MPH at 78F, I climbed to 201. It is about a 5 mile run to the summit.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling

@Richard Gallant Mine tend to climb pretty quick to 201 when putting around up short hills which is weird. I've been chalking it up to the added work from the big tires and tent. When it was 95+ out, I had to pull over midway up a 15 mile 7% grade to cool her off. It went up to about 225 before I was able to pull into a rest point on the climb. I found after getting back from that trip that my fan shroud clips had broken so the bottom was just flapping loose. Probably didn't help my 55mph climb up the that grade and low speed cooling ability.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by andino
@Richard Gallant Mine tend to climb pretty quick to 201 when putting around up short hills which is weird. I've been chalking it up to the added work from the big tires and tent. When it was 95+ out, I had to pull over midway up a 15 mile 7% grade to cool her off. It went up to about 225 before I was able to pull into a rest point on the climb. I found after getting back from that trip that my fan shroud clips had broken so the bottom was just flapping loose. Probably didn't help my 55mph climb up the that grade and low speed cooling ability.
Makes you wonder how any DII’s survived with the stock bypass 190 thermostat in those conditions. I hate to think what temps you’d be pulling with a factory setup.

I ordered a fan clutch and Dorman fan today.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by arains44
Makes you wonder how any DII’s survived with the stock bypass 190 thermostat in those conditions. I hate to think what temps you’d be pulling with a factory setup.

I ordered a fan clutch and Dorman fan today.
Agreed. I was helping a friend with a 3rd gen 4runner and the rad on that truck is massive compared to the disco. It's certainly a wonder that D2s ran as well as they did in any weather conditions.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:38 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Well on the way up to where I was going 8 to 12% grades for along way I passed 3 toyota's with their hoods up. I only hit 197 that day but is was only about 65F, sport mode about 60 mph a few slow downs due to construction.

I have a clamshell roof top tent, stock bumper and just a few lights up front,dorman fan and hayden HD fan clutch. 245/70/16 tires and as an 04 no oil cooler. But I also run the coolest of all the disco's in my club by about 5 degrees

That 190 had to be death, I think they ran 212 to 220 stock and overheat is 245ish that is a slim margin.

I should note I almost never run A/C but it adds about 2-4 degrees on my truck.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (06-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Opinion: high-ish coolant temp in hot weather/ on the interstate