Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Blue Top Model D31M

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Optima Blue Top Model D31M

Who says you cant put a Marine battery in your Disco? Battery guy thought I was crazy and said it would never fit. My girl has lots of power now!

Attached Thumbnails Optima Blue Top Model D31M-battery.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Dat big redd wire goz to a fuze, write?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Group 31 is what the td5 disco 2 has in it from the factory.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So no mods to the box to get the Group 31 in if it was stock on the TD5?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Winching

Savannah yes it has a 80 in line fuse in it for the sub amp. Yes the battery is a perfect fit no cutting required and the cover goes on as well. It hurts the pocket at just under $300.00 but I have grown tired of dead batteries. I had a Red top and went out the other day to a dead battery. So I then got this one.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

80 amps X 12 volts = 960 watts; this sub amp could be used with one of those new apps that pulse low frequency energy at specific hertz ranges to cause the mud to be pulsed off the truck, but you can't sit in the truck with it running unless you have superior sphincter control....

Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Winching

Well Savannah I am in for a world of pain and poo!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The issue isn't red top vs blue top (unless you have high loads without the engine running), the issue is that Optima QC took a dive when JCI bought them and moved manufacturing to Mexico.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

JCI has owned battery companies since it bought Globe Union back in the 70's. It told share holders that it veiwed this as a cyclical business, and I can assure you that they do their best to make sure that cycle is 30 days past warranty. They also moved production of some large HVAC equipment to Mexico, where the national language is not AutoCad, problems with supply chain and production errors on that side of their biz as well. I've been an employee, shareholder, consumer of their products, and signed contracts with them for the school bus sized HVAC gear. They do make good stuff, but if I want a new condenser, it has to be fabbed in Mexico, shipped to Baltimore, then on a truck to Savannah. The bean counterz rule. Full disclosure - I went to college on their nickle, so my hat is off to them for that.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The only difference with an "M" battery is the extra 5/16 terminal posts. Many people abandoned Optima for Odyssey or DieHard Platinum rebrand in the AGM battery segment, but AGM's are not ideal for every purpose. AGM's and gel's have a low self-discharge rate, and high charge/discharge efficiency, but they carry about 20% less capacity (for size) than old-skool flooded batteries, and they cost almost twice as much.

Between gel and AGM, gel is better for deep-cycling which is often associated with "marine" (of course you're actually more likely to use a deep cycle battery for an electric trolling motor or your floating RV than you would to start an offshore diesel). As such, AGM batteries are not really true deep cycle batteries like the gels. In fact, they have a shorter cycle life than plain old flooded batteries. They are just what they are: AGM batteries, with excellent efficiency, no maintenance, and fair starting power and capacity, and a somewhat shorter cycle life.

Quick Reply: Optima Blue Top Model D31M