Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

other maintenance when performing routine oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default other maintenance when performing routine oil changes

I would like to know what other maintenance do you perform when you do your routine oil changes. I usually rotate tires, clean battery connections and check water level, check condition of hoses, and check all fluid levels. Is there anything else that I should be doing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Grease all you joints, check all fluid levels, that mean diffs and t-case too.
Check the air filter and tire pressure.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Winching

Thanks Spike for your quick response. When you say grease all u joints are they the ones with grease fittings, are there any other grease fittings under the chassis. I would also like to know what type of grease should i be using.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

First, was your 60K service done, if not you have a lot of work to do, look at my list at the top of this Discovery section.
Where is your bleed screw located, is it molded into the upper radiator hose or part of the black plastic"T"? If it is molded in, you must change it because of it's high failure rate.
Have you had your front drive shaft rebuilt or replaced? If it only has one grease fitting it will fail and can take your tranny with it, this needs to be done right away.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Winching

I had the full 60k mile service one year ago when the truck had 58k miles and the front drive shaft was replaced around that time. The truck currently has 68k miles and has had two synthetic oil changes since the 60k mile service. I am not sure if the drive shaft only has 1 grease fitting but has only around 10k miles of use. Should I still worry about it or should I just grease it when I perform the routine oil changes. Thanks Mike for your guidance.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty low total miles for a 2000. Sounds like a pretty decent find.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Winching

I got it around three years ago and it only had 51k miles. I consider it to have been a good find even though I had to have a lot of things done to it like routine maintenance, 60k service, replace front drive shaft (warranty), valve cover and intake manifold gaskets (warranty), xyz switch (warranty), coolant bottle replaced hairline crack (warranty), full brakes and rotors at 60K, A/C fan replaced (warranty), ABS modulator replaced (warranty), and last but not least drivers door regulator (warranty). What saved my butt was that it still had 2 years left on the transferable 0 deductible extended warranty and had a brand new set of Michelin tires and Interstate battery. Right now EVERYTHING WORKS, the engine runs like new with no problems, and I have NO CODES. The only thing that the truck needs right now to be perfect is a new headliner and it's not even that bad right now. I am keeping my fingers crossed now that the warranty is up. I hope that everything that could fail failed and was replaced under warranty, except maybe the air suspension which is all original.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

My drive shaft failed at 37,000 miles and you don't want to chance it for too long.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Winching

Sorry for my ignorance Disco Mike but what do you think I should do with my front drive shaft. Should I have it replaced considering that it only has 10k miles of use or should I take it to a driveline shop to have them replace the u joints. I am aware that the original Land Rover drive shafts were lacking grease fittings but what about the replacement drive shafts from Land Rover. Again thanks for the help.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Land rover just replaced it with the same. It won't have grease zerks and will be prone to failure. If you have a drive line shop replace the u-joints you will need to grease them every oil change and drop the shaft to put more grease into the centering ball.

Quick Reply: other maintenance when performing routine oil changes