Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

other maintenance when performing routine oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by buick215
Thanks Spike for your quick response. When you say grease all u joints are they the ones with grease fittings, are there any other grease fittings under the chassis. I would also like to know what type of grease should i be using.
The only grease fittings will be on the driveshafts.
I use "Green Grease", it is found at TSC and is full synthetic and water and dust repellent, it is a implement grease meant for farm machinery and if its good enough to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week rain or shine its good enough for my truck.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by d2luvr
...drop the shaft to put more grease into the centering ball.
Is this possible? Or is this to be done only if a grease-able centering ball is used in the rebuild? I've asked this question before, but I continue to get worried because I am not greasing mine (Precision 617 that was used in the rebuild). As far as I can tell, there is no way to grease the centering ball that was used when I had the shaft rebuilt, but if I am neglecting something, I want to know!!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Is this possible? Or is this to be done only if a grease-able centering ball is used in the rebuild? I've asked this question before, but I continue to get worried because I am not greasing mine (Precision 617 that was used in the rebuild). As far as I can tell, there is no way to grease the centering ball that was used when I had the shaft rebuilt, but if I am neglecting something, I want to know!!
No you cannot grease the factory centering ball on a DII prop shaft.

But you MUST grease it on a re-built greasable DII driveshaft at EVERY oil change.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Spike, I had my driveshaft rebuilt a year ago by a driveline shop. He replaced the three joints with grease-able Precision 344s and the centering ball with a Precision 617. I see no way to grease the replacement centering ball, other than using a needle, which I don't think will get the grease in the crucial places. Other than removing the centering ball, packing it with grease, and basically doing a partial drive shaft rebuild every 3000 miles, I don't see how.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...centering+ball

Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know what would be the cost to have a driveline shop replace the u joints on a front driveshaft with the ones that have grease zerks.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Pro Wrench

I bought the 3 joints and centering ball from O'Reilly Auto parts for about $95 and paid $70 in labor to the local driveline guru to install them. (I pulled the shaft myself, and brought him the shaft and needed parts)

Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I am going to have to get the front driveshaft rebuilt should I also get the rear driveshaft rebuilt. Would that be a waste of money. I never hear of the rear driveshafts going bad just the front driveshafts, am I right or wrong.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Pro Wrench

I am going to replace the u-joint in my rear shaft at some point, but just because it is no longer accepting grease (though I haven't tried a new zerk yet). The rear is no way as important as the front though from the damage standpoint.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by buick215
Since I am going to have to get the front driveshaft rebuilt should I also get the rear driveshaft rebuilt. Would that be a waste of money. I never hear of the rear driveshafts going bad just the front driveshafts, am I right or wrong.
As long as you have been greasing it twice a year and your roto-flex isn't cracked between the 6 bolts, you'll be fine at your mileage.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Spike, I had my driveshaft rebuilt a year ago by a driveline shop. He replaced the three joints with grease-able Precision 344s and the centering ball with a Precision 617. I see no way to grease the replacement centering ball, other than using a needle, which I don't think will get the grease in the crucial places. Other than removing the centering ball, packing it with grease, and basically doing a partial drive shaft rebuild every 3000 miles, I don't see how.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...centering+ball
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ght=woods+fail

Yes you must use a needle to grease the centering ball.

Quick Reply: other maintenance when performing routine oil changes