Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch!

Well had my 02' Rover for a couple months now and was just waiting on the first repair to come along which happened several days ago. The mounting bracket for the belt tensioner broke which sent the serpentine belt into several pulleys all which broke, into the radiator fan which broke, and of course the serpentine belt was shredded. They quoted me a price on the serpentine belt replacement at $140 which I was gladly ready to pay. Until they found all the other problems mentioned above and replaced all plus labor $786.38. Yes, I still love her dearly... LOL

Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is pretty pricey for for $250 in parts and an hours worth of time.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2, was this a dealership?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Was it the tensioner that broke, or the big piece of aluminum it bolts to that pretty much covers the front of the engine that everything else bolts to? Unless it was the later, I hope they provided lots and lots of free coffee and donuts. Next time something major happens, check here first! Many members have spare parts laying about that can be had for cheap, or they can point you to places for the same.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looking at the invoice the parts came to $507.09 & labor was $241.25 (SC sales tax $38.04) for this fix. This was a private shop in Mount Pleasant, SC not the dealer, but they are the only people who work on Land Rover vehicles around here. Looks like the most expensive part was for the bracket Alternator/Compressor ($144.27) Pretty expensive I definitely agree!

They also mentioned a "minor" leak in the throttle preheat which they gave me an estimate of $220 what do you think of that?

Oh yeah just remembered the best part of this ordeal. This happened less than a mile away from the shop so I had to pay a tow truck to go a couple hundred yards to get it there, cost $50. Isn't life grand

Last edited by Mackcm; 09-28-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

$220 isnt bad considering the part is $3.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
$220 isnt bad considering the part is $3.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
Thanks Ed! How involved is it to place the gasket? Just wondering might be a good time to get my hands dirty and save some big bucks.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...954#post153954

Unless you have loads of money that you want to get rid of, getting your hands dirty is the best way to go. In addition to saving money, working on your own vehicle helps connect you with it; you get more "in tune" with it, and can detect problems sooner.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mackcm
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looking at the invoice the parts came to $507.09 & labor was $241.25 (SC sales tax $38.04) for this fix. This was a private shop in Mount Pleasant, SC not the dealer, but they are the only people who work on Land Rover vehicles around here. Looks like the most expensive part was for the bracket Alternator/Compressor ($144.27) Pretty expensive I definitely agree!

They also mentioned a "minor" leak in the throttle preheat which they gave me an estimate of $220 what do you think of that?

Oh yeah just remembered the best part of this ordeal. This happened less than a mile away from the shop so I had to pay a tow truck to go a couple hundred yards to get it there, cost $50. Isn't life grand
Yes welcome to the wild world of Land Rovers. If you want to continue with these trucks you really need to DIY (how deep you go is up to you). It sounds daunting at first but it is actually quite simple. I'm really surprised that the serp. belt took out the brackets for the alternator and the compressor.

On the Throttle body heater leak $220 is because they are going to remove the plenum to install it which you don't need to do if you have the time and patience. The throttle body heater plate kit costs $25 btw.

So you have the choice take the blue pill and keep going down the road of being held hostage by the high price of repairs or take the red pill and start learning about your truck. Even if you do not go full throttle on the DIY at least you have the knowledge which will help at the mechanic.

Also I would never go back to that shop, find a small import shop that will work on your truck even if they don't know discos you can ask here and we can help. The discovery engine is actually quite simple to work on so don't for a second think there are no other mechanics that can work on your truck.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you download the RAVE manual yet? www.landroverresource.com

Quick Reply: Ouch!