Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our awesome Rovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our awesome Rovers

Yesterday I was in the parking lot at work under my disco checking for the origin of a small leak, my work houses veterans and gets them back on their feet. While fooling around under there a few guys would come ask me about it and say how cool it is and all that. I explained how the vehicle doesn't cost much if you learn to wok on it. If it was a jeep the appeal would have been there. Really is a mystery around these vehicles!

Old 02-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yep, it seems like people either think they're cool or that we're crazy because they're so expensive to repair.

I guess they aren't wrong about the expense; the parts aren't that expensive, but the constant stream of problems still adds up, especially if you aren't doing the work yourself.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex0331
Yesterday I was in the parking lot at work under my disco checking for the origin of a small leak, my work houses veterans and gets them back on their feet. While fooling around under there a few guys would come ask me about it and say how cool it is and all that. I explained how the vehicle doesn't cost much if you learn to wok on it. If it was a jeep the appeal would have been there. Really is a mystery around these vehicles!
It's good to see someone interested in a vehicle that's not worth a million bucks and isn't unique as a 4x4 in the US. They are different and have some 'cult' appeal in some countries. Unlike here in France, they drive around in their beaten up old Renault/Peugeot/Citroen and wouldn't notice anything if Miley Cyrus drove past absolutely stark naked at the wheel of a soft top Lamborghini. Brain dead here for some would be a compliment in acknowledging they had a brain to start with.

As the saying goes "they would fight apathy but they couldn't be bothered" - sums it up really.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They turn my head and I own one!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Yep, it seems like people either think they're cool or that we're crazy because they're so expensive to repair.

I guess they aren't wrong about the expense; the parts aren't that expensive, but the constant stream of problems still adds up, especially if you aren't doing the work yourself.
I think it's like race cars and motorsport Dr Mordo, you've got to love what you do and be either very rich or fix them yourself, mines the latter. As many will know, with a race car there is always something that needs fixing, adjusting, setting up, changing gear ratios etc, etc. it's never ending just for one hours adrenalin loaded terrifying fun every week after hours of driving to and from the race circuit. But I wouldn't have missed it for the world and owning a 4x4 offroad machine is just the same. Pure hard work and/or expensive masochism.

Never quit - "regroup and go again" is the motto. Another good one is "second is the 1st of the losers" nobody wants to be second.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
It's good to see someone interested in a vehicle that's not worth a million bucks and isn't unique as a 4x4 in the US. They are different and have some 'cult' appeal in some countries. Unlike here in France, they drive around in their beaten up old Renault/Peugeot/Citroen and wouldn't notice anything if Miley Cyrus drove past absolutely stark naked at the wheel of a soft top Lamborghini. Brain dead here for some would be a compliment in acknowledging they had a brain to start with.

As the saying goes "they would fight apathy but they couldn't be bothered" - sums it up really.
Please don't call me brain dead but I'd like to import a Renault Megane Convertible or a Citroen C6. Really like the looks of them (but maybe they're junk?) They would definitely be unique here!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I think it's like race cars and motorsport Dr Mordo, you've got to love what you do and be either very rich or fix them yourself, mines the latter. As many will know, with a race car there is always something that needs fixing, adjusting, setting up, changing gear ratios etc, etc. it's never ending just for one hours adrenalin loaded terrifying fun every week after hours of driving to and from the race circuit. But I wouldn't have missed it for the world and owning a 4x4 offroad machine is just the same. Pure hard work and/or expensive masochism.

Never quit - "regroup and go again" is the motto. Another good one is "second is the 1st of the losers" nobody wants to be second.
This made me smile because surely the only similarity between our trucks and a race car is the increased amount of maintenance each requires.

The American version of "second is the 1st of the losers" is

Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
This made me smile because surely the only similarity between our trucks and a race car is the increased amount of maintenance each requires.

The American version of "second is the 1st of the losers" is
If your not 1st, your last!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Please don't call me brain dead but I'd like to import a Renault Megane Convertible or a Citroen C6. Really like the looks of them (but maybe they're junk?) They would definitely be unique here!
I dunno why, but I'd kill for an Opel Calibra with a touring car body kit. Those things looked great.

Anyways, I was complimented by the gate guard as I was going onto base, because it was covered with mud. He said something to the effect of "Its nice to see someone take care of these cars because they are such cool vehicles".

My XO is also a rover guy (although he owns a Series 3 Diesel and a 97 Defender) and we talk about rover stuff all the time, and he always says he is happy that the younger crowd is interested in keeping these awesome cars around.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by ScreamingLife
I dunno why, but I'd kill for an Opel Calibra with a touring car body kit. Those things looked great.

Anyways, I was complimented by the gate guard as I was going onto base, because it was covered with mud. He said something to the effect of "Its nice to see someone take care of these cars because they are such cool vehicles".

My XO is also a rover guy (although he owns a Series 3 Diesel and a 97 Defender) and we talk about rover stuff all the time, and he always says he is happy that the younger crowd is interested in keeping these awesome cars around.
http://www.google.fr/imgres?start=18...CJYCEK0DMFs4ZA

https://www.google.fr/search?q=custo...w=1163&bih=644

Quick Reply: Our awesome Rovers