Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our D2 profiled on a You Tube influencer's channel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 03:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 813 Likes on 534 Posts

axles can handle more power than you'd think...a huge negative to the rover v8 is inability to tune it so why would you spend all that money and still have the HP slush box and a rover brain and a different firing sequence than normal for an LS? It's a lot more work but a true LS with a 6L80 or 90 mated to the LT230 would be well worth the wiring to figure out how to make things play nice. But all this is irrelevant to the thread.

Kudos on a very tastefully built disco!!

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (08-30-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004
axles can handle more power than you'd think...a huge negative to the rover v8 is inability to tune it so why would you spend all that money and still have the HP slush box and a rover brain and a different firing sequence than normal for an LS?
So that when you pull up to the emission station in CA the mechanic doesn't question why there is a second OBD2 port, and then probably fail you. I don't think it would be impossible to pass using the GM engine management, but it really adds to the complication. When they see one OBD2 port, and it responds with all of the correct smog check status, life is a lot easier. If all you ever need is 300 HP, then who cares about tuning?
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...e-download.pdf

Last edited by TimInNova; 08-31-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TimInNova
If your concerned with engine reliability and fuel consumption, please consider a LS swap from Trailhead 4x4. Because they keep the factory Land Rover engine management, your truck will still be legal in CA, not to mention having 300 HP and run on 87 octane fuel. Your rig truly deserves this
A LS swap is definitely something I will consider but I hope the Rover engine will keep going for a good long while. I would definitely appreciate a bit more power with all the gear I am hauling, not to mention the reliability and fuel consumption.

Originally Posted by zski128
I was thinking about hood louvers as well. How did you determine they didn’t help much as mentioned in the video?
I monitor the temperatures using a ScanGauge 2. The temps have always been consistent and the truck has never come close to overheating. When I do drive it to work I take the same route and always keep a close eye on the temps (as I'm sure many of us do). After the installation of the hood louvers there was no discernible difference in the coolant temps even going up hills. I do think it makes a difference in the under hood engine compartment temps. There are times when stopped at a light that you can see the heat coming out of the louvers. Hopefully that will at least prolong the life of the plastic and rubber components.

Originally Posted by whowa004
axles can handle more power than you'd think...a huge negative to the rover v8 is inability to tune it so why would you spend all that money and still have the HP slush box and a rover brain and a different firing sequence than normal for an LS? It's a lot more work but a true LS with a 6L80 or 90 mated to the LT230 would be well worth the wiring to figure out how to make things play nice. But all this is irrelevant to the thread.

Kudos on a very tastefully built disco!!
I have the Ashcroft heavy duty axles and CV joints installed. I too wonder if the LS swap would be worth it with the "HP slush box". It will be interesting to see how the swap evolves over time. For now fingers crossed that the 4.6 will not give me any major issues .

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 813 Likes on 534 Posts

It can be done. Having not done it my guess would be to run the LS obd to the stock location and if you don't have a rover trans anymore than move the rover obd port somewhere you can still access it to troubleshoot abs and house however you tricked the rover ecu to think it has a rover trans still. I know Roadside Werx has sent a handful of LS swapped rovers to CA with zero issues, CO isn't too far behind cali these days and no issues here either.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:00 PM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice truck and video! My wife feels the same about her Disco as your wife - people leave her alone when she's driving it vs our SAAB.