Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over heating

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 07:04 PM
|
7th Gear
Default over heating

I just bought a 99 Disco series 1. I had been driving it 2 weeks, with no problems, when the water pump went out and took the serpintene belt with it. I bought after market from O'Riely and although they just showed 1 pump for series 1 & 2, it seemed the same. Everything seems ok but it keeps getting hot. Am not sure belt is routed correctly but none of the dealers in the area seem to have a diagram. Anyboby have a diagram or any ideas. I have gone beyond fustration and dealer is too expensive for this po boy.

Old 08-19-2008 | 07:06 PM
Administrator
Default RE: over heating

Should have a diagram under the hood.
Are you sure all the air is bled out of the coolant system?

Old 08-19-2008 | 07:15 PM
|
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. That was the first place I looked. Every label & warning seems to be there except the ONE I need. Have called every dealership in the area with no help. Don't know if it is routed wrong but can find no other reason for over heating.

Old 08-19-2008 | 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling

If the belt is spinning the fan and pump it is probably not a mis-routed belt. I attached a diagram in case you want to double check it. As far as bleeding the air out of the system, this is the most likely culprit. While you are working on the cooling system I would change the thermostat as well for peace of mind.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 08-19-2008 | 08:16 PM
Team Owner

He has a DI, the belt is routed different. And just because the fan is spinning dosent mean a thing. if the belt is on wrong the fan will spin to slow.
www.atlanticbritsh.com, tech tips.

Old 08-19-2008 | 09:19 PM
|
7th Gear

Thanks, Spike555. The diagram for the 2 does not work for the 1. If you are correct about it making the fan run slow, that certainly could be the problem. Do you know where I can find the correct diagram. I checked out the link in your reply but couldn't find it.

Old 08-19-2008 | 09:26 PM
Team Owner

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/s...g_defender.cfm

After you check your belt routing and it is good then you will need to bleed the system.
If you need help with that just ask.

Old 08-19-2008 | 09:43 PM
|
7th Gear

Thank you so very much, that looks much better. Any suggestions you can make to be sure I bleed the system correctly would be very much appreciated.

Old 08-19-2008 | 09:57 PM
Team Owner

Start on level ground.
With the engine cold, remove the cap from the coolant resovoir and the plug from the top of the radiator.
Make sure the radiator is full and then the resovoir is to the correct level.
Start the trk and put both sides of the HVAC to HOT, turn the HVAC fan on low, if you put it on "dash" and open the drivers window it will be easier.
Let the engine idle making sure that the radiator is kept full. Every once in awhile stick your hand inside the window and feel for hot air coming from the vent.
Once hot coolant starts to come out of the hole in the top of the radiator in a steady stream replace the plug, leave the engine running while you do this.
Now keep the colant bottle at the proper level at the same time.
Once steam starts to come out of the coolant bottle replace the cap.
You are done.
Check the coolant level once a day for the next two days after it has sat overnight.

Old 08-19-2008 | 10:01 PM
|
7th Gear

You are a life saver - Thanks.

Quick Reply: over heating