Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over Heating!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Over Heating!!!!!

Hey guys, Very urgent situation here, Was just out driving down some dirt trails, and D2 overheated, I had to "leap frog" her home, took 3 hours. lol awww that sucked. anyways, the truck has fluid, radiator fins are clean, I need urgent help what should i do? pull radiator out and flush, it overheats very fast and im dumbfounded where should i start.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thermostat could be stuck closed or clogged due to someone putting stop leak in. water pump impeller could be worn out or sheared off. low coolant level. sludge trapped in radiator.

if you put in a motor rad 180 thermostat. some people claim that they stick. i have one and havent had any issues yet, knock on wood.

other than that. thats about all i can think of atm.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Default overheating

I was thinking it was gonna be either the thermostat or waterpump, Im going to order those tonight, Are there specific ways to test these to see if they're bad? Also its been awhile since ive done a rad flush on a truck, whats the correct procedure?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can test the tstat to see if it opens up by placing it in boiling water. As for procedures YouTube is a great source tutorial videos.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling

So I ordered a thermostat and a water pump so while im waiting I made a Y pipe to bypass the thermostat housing and she still overheated, Boiling water in the reservoir and a slight hissing sound on the top front right of radiator where the small plastic line feeds into it. Does this sound like a bad water pump? what else should I do here?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i would borrow a cooling system pressure tester and check your system for leaks.

Ps your system will over heat without a T-stat, because there is nothing holding the water in the radiator to get cooled

Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling

just got my parts, Ive always been a ford guy, so I like to ask dumb questions on here, So I think im going to just put the new T stat in and try it, I read some guys were bypassing the t sats with a Y- pipe, I didnt think about what you were saying though, It doesnt seem to have any leaks, No coolant in oil, or oil in coolant, runs fine other than this current problem, It gets hot fast, like less than a quarter mile. I flushed the motor and i was going to wash out radiator but it is clean, no debris in fins, etc,, belt is tight and no play with fan, Im going to try bleeding system again with the new tsat right now.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling

alright couple of questions. I changed the t stat out and bled the system. I let her idle with heater on for like 15 minutes and for a few minutes @ 2000 rpm, and temp gauge sat right in middle without overheating, alright now for the dumb questions will the truck overheat at idle if it is overheating during a test drive. I don't want to overheat her if i can help it. Also the front electric fan when and how long should that stay on. thanks again, and yes i know these are dumb questions.

so these trucks will overheat with a stuck open or stuck closed Thermostat?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

usual over heat would be stuck closed.
but as i said if you have nothing regulating the coolant flow it will just run straight threw the rad without be cooled, getting hotter with each pass.
the electric fan should not come on in most cases.
it requires the temp to be over 210, oat to be above 80 degrees, a/c on there are a few thing that have to be made before the electric fan will even come on.
go take it for a ride and double check it when its cold

Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The temperature gauge is only there to tell you that it's already to late/to hot.

It stays in the center until around 240... If you have already seen the temp gauge go to the red you may already have damaged your engine.

did you bleed the system with the overflow tank out and above the engine? Did you bleed with the engine stone cold?

Have you ever had your head gaskets done?

Do you know of a local land rover specific indy shop?

Quick Reply: Over Heating!!!!!